Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ubuntu 10.04, only terminal display & no desktop

Hello, I am Deepika, I am new to this forum, About 2 hrs. ago I faced a major problem : after login, only the terminal was appearing and no desktop. This problem occurred after following the 3 commands to sync iphone to the rhythmbox :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pmcenery/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

After doing the above I restarted & then only terminal was appearing and no desktop. I have uninstalled libimobiledevice package but still no change. If anyone has any solutions to this problem please let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by jayd512; 01-25-2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: un-parse smiley

I had something like this happen to me. Let me find my thread about it.
    Edit: Because I need 2 more posts until I can post a link. Just click my name. Go to view forum posts and look at the very first post I posted.
    Edit 2: Just type startx and see what happens.

Hi, i typed startx ans i get the following message : X: user not authorized to run the x server, aborting.

Also I did the following for abt 2 hrs. :

I removed the ppamcenery from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and also removed the ppa gpg key using : sudo apt-key del id. Now to some extent I am sure that I have removed the ppa repository.

After that I did the following
    sudo apt-get update but it says it fails to fetch few files. e.g : could not resolve: security.ubuntu.com, could not resolve : archive.canonical.com, could not resolve dl.google.com

Then i run the command : sudo apt-get dist upgrade and it says 0 upgraded,0 newlly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. Then i run the command : sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop and it says, could not resolve : in.archive.ubuntu.com, security.ubuntu.com

And then also tried : sudo aptitude install gnome, but still no luck.

Please reply asap.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hi and Welcome !

Which Graphics Card do you have? Post your Machine's specs here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Yes, welcome and hello.

As mentioned already, the machines graphics card model would be great. But if you don't know, no sweat! Also, is this a laptop (with wireless internet) or a desktop?

Can you also quickly run this command, and see what it tells you?

Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i '(EE)'
    The 'cat' command prints onto the screen what is inside '/var/log/Xorg.0.log', which is the log file for your graphics. The bar ('|') and the 'grep' command filter through the output of that log file and will only show the part that have '(EE)' on it - in effect searching for the error.

Hello and Welcome!

Going along with the above question from DC, did this problem occur after a system update/upgrade?
    Or were the commands that you listed the only ones involved before rebooting your system?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

after typing it says : (ww) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown

yes the problem after sys update/upgrade &
    the following were the only commands before rebooting :

sudo add-apt-repository ppamcenery/ppa
    sudo apt-get update

when i wrote startx in root drive it said : fatal server error: server is already active for display 0. If this server is no longer running remove /tmp/.X0-lock .

Quote Originally Posted by deepikarc View Post
    yes the problem after sys update/upgrade &
    the following were the only commands before rebooting :

sudo add-apt-repository ppamcenery/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    Best way I know how to revert a PPA addition is to use 'ppa-purge'.

You will have to install it first:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    Then you will most likely have to add the PPA to your sources again. Just do your 'apt-add-repository' command again.

Then type
    Code:
    sudo ppa-purge pmcenery/ppa
    That would revert your packages back to the way they were before you added them.