Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright guys, So I decided I wanted to make the switch over to Ubuntu for general computing and day to day use. I seem to have never ending issues with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is it just me or does ubuntu not want to do anythin?

Alright guys, So I decided I wanted to make the switch over to Ubuntu for general computing and day to day use.

I seem to have never ending issues with everything I try to do

First things first.

I cannot for the life of me get skype to install.

First issue was down to me being on the AMD64 platform, So I followed a guide to allow me to force 32bit architecture install, Then there were other installations saying Librarys were missing (there was a lot of them so i apologies for not typing them here), When I tried to install these, it was more errors and so and and so forth...

next issue, I cannot get unity 3D to start / run...

First time around i got errors to the effect of missing files, I reinstalled Ubuntu then I got errors saying here was no objects to apply(or to that effect) I really wanted to use the nice 3D visuals like the cube, wobbly windows etc. i have no unity 3D Icon in the control panel either?

next thing, May seem minor but some of my shortcuts do not work, Or maybe they are not supposed to.
    In windows 7 on Firefox if I want to go back a page, I can press backspace, this doesn't seem to work on Ubuntu same when in picture viewer, pressing the left and right arrow keys do not change the image to the next one?

So far I have been a little scared to try anything else due to everything going wrong so many times.

I am using the latest build of Ubuntu 12.1 and have reinstalled maybe 4 times so far, currently I am on a 100% fresh install...

All help is totally appreciated

Just Joined!
    Hello, for skype did you try installing it from the package manager? because I was able to do that fine on my 64 bit system.

Just Joined!
    Another idea is to get ubuntu 12.04LTS. I was able to use wobbly windows in 12.04, but they dont work in 12.10. Make sure you have the reccomended driver, too.

Linux Guru
    How did you try to install Skype and whatever other software? You should always use the package manager. There is a Software Manager in Ubuntu and you can use the ap-get command in the terminal. There are a large number of tutorials on using it if you just google it or go to the Ubuntu site. You haven't been specific about your software other than Skype?

Missing files and libraries should not be a problem if you use the package manager as that is taken care of for you.
    According to the Ubuntu site, there are over 20 million people worldwide using it.

Hi and Welcome !

Quote Originally Posted by CraigRobbo
    I cannot for the life of me get skype to install.

First issue was down to me being on the AMD64 platform, So I followed a guide to allow me to force 32bit architecture install, Then there were other installations saying Librarys were missing (there was a lot of them so i apologies for not typing them here), When I tried to install these, it was more errors and so and and so forth...
    Does internet connection work fine?
    Copy last 10 lines of error message and post here. We can't help you without looking into error message. Does internet connection work fine?
    Quote Originally Posted by Craigrobbo
    next issue, I cannot get unity 3D to start / run...

First time around i got errors to the effect of missing files, I reinstalled Ubuntu then I got errors saying here was no objects to apply(or to that effect) I really wanted to use the nice 3D visuals like the cube, wobbly windows etc. i have no unity 3D Icon in the control panel either?
    Could you post your machine's specs here? Which Graphics Card do you have?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First