Find the answer to your Linux question:
My question is at the end...... Here's my set-up so far (64-bit architecture, 8GB of RAM, 240GB SSD) : Primary partition containing Win 7 Pro installation (45GB) ; Primary FAT32 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

re. SSD Dual boot partitioning scheme: Win 7 Pro and Ubuntu 12.04

My question is at the end......

Here's my set-up so far (64-bit architecture, 8GB of RAM, 240GB SSD) :

Primary partition containing Win 7 Pro installation (45GB) ;
    Primary FAT32 partition with nothing on it (1GB) ;
    Primary ext4 partition for GRUB2 bootloader files (1GB) ;
    Extended Partition (176.57GB) containing:
    --Linux swap partition (2GB) ;
    -- Unallocated space (174.57 GB) ;

I'm tempted to create only one logical partition in the remaining unallocated space, to hold Ubuntu 12.04 and all Win 7 and Ubuntu user data files, as I've heard this may reduce writes to my SSD, but does anyone believe I should instead create two or more logical partitions, one of which would be a separate /home directory to store all user files, including those from Win 7?

Regards, Jeff in Colorado

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

Depending on your user habits, you might not need the swap partition at all. I had several machines in the past, each with 8 GB of ram and no swap, and they never needed a swap space, but then I rarely have more than about half a dozen or so different apps running at the same time. I currently have a couple boxes using SSDs, and other than using discard trim support on them, I stopped treating them any differently than regular hard drives and thus far they've proven quite robust and reliable.

Sooner or later, they will fail with all the firmware updates they've had in the past and considering all the times that I've restored different system images to them, but so far they are proving to be far tougher than I could ever have imagined. The point I'm getting at is that if your SSD is a modern one, and of good quality, you might not have to worry yourself too much about some extra disk writes.

That all said, I keep all my data on a separate hard drive and keep only the system itself on the SSDs. Doing it that way, I figure if the SSD with system gets totally borked, my data should survive. Perhaps I'm just lucky, but in some ways I've been pushing the SSDs to failure, but they just keep on going and don't seem to even be slowing down.

Edit: just wanted to add that my SSDs hold Linux only and have never had Windows on them, so I'm not sure how that OS might affect them.
    Last edited by oz; 02-02-2013 at 04:18 AM.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you for answer!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close