Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
It appears that GRUB may be corrupted or confused. Did you install it to the MBR of /dev/sda? You can check the following Ubuntu wiki page for lots of good ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

It appears that GRUB may be corrupted or confused. Did you install it to the MBR of /dev/sda?

You can check the following Ubuntu wiki page for lots of good info on installing and working with GRUB2:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing
    oz

Just Joined!
    Would GRUB be corrupt on three different distros?

I have tried both MBR and first partition GRUB installs. And GRUB works at first boot after install. Every time. I have tried installing seven times now, same result every time.

I doubt that GRUB is to blame. I have used GRUB before on this disk (different computer though).

Anything else I can try och check?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lajjon View Post
    Would GRUB be corrupt on three different distros?

Anything else I can try och check?
    It could be confused if it's being install improperly, but if you've installed GRUB many times before it's probably not that. As for other things to try, SuperGRUB might be worth a try to see if it will find the GRUB configuration and allow you back into the system. A copy of it resides on the Parted Magic liveCD/USB and using that has helped me to get past GRUB errors in the past.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Owning a couple of eeepc's myself. I can say one needs to go into bios first mess with

OS Installation - Start/Finished" setting in the BIOS
    If it is on finished. Change it to start.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Owning a couple of eeepc's myself. I can say one needs to go into bios first mess with

If it is on finished. Change it to start.

I have no such setting in bios... AM Bios version 2.58.

EDIT: Gonna upgrade bios firm now... Turns out my version is ancient... :/ Will let you know how it goes.

Just Joined!
    New Bios revision finally flashed. Loaded setup defaults as the guide suggested.
    Tried installing Mint 14 after that, two ext3 partitions and a swap partition. First reboot after install couldn't mount the /home partition, and second reboot showed the "grub rescue>" prompt again.

Totally clueless.

By the way, still can't find the "start/finished" setting in bios that rokytnji suggested.

Any more ideas? Local hardware shop and get a 10-lb sledgehammer?

Just Joined!
    I have changed harddrive to a regular mechanical one, and everything works fine. Several reboots, partition table still intact.

Why can't my SSD drive hold the partition table or whatever is going on?
    fdisk -l gives the table as I made it, but the partitions themselves are of unknown type... No longer ext3/4... How is this possible?
    Where is the partition information stored? How can a partition change from ext3 or 4 to something unkown by itself?

Just Joined!
    Anyone got any ideas? I really want my SSD drive to work here... Mechanical drive has no problems, how come the SSD does?

Grateful for any insights...

Just Joined!
    Ok, looks like this problem is solved, actually...
    As a last resort I went to OCZ forum and found out that you could upgrade the firmware in the drive as well... Did not know that

So I did, and it seems to have done the trick. Real easy solution, although it took me a full weekend to figure it out :/

Thanks to you all for your input, guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2