Find the answer to your Linux question:
Then I try to generate a comment free smb.conf file as sudo using testparm I get an error Code: sudo testparm -s smb.conf.master >smb.conf bash: smb.conf: Permission denied I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question 12.04 testparm won't execute under sudo

Then I try to generate a comment free smb.conf file as sudo using testparm I get an error

Code:
    sudo testparm -s smb.conf.master >smb.conf 
    bash: smb.conf: Permission denied
    I have a simple setup with 4 Ubuntu machines on a very small LAN with is behind a firewall. This started happening when I was experimenting with a Scientific Linux distro on one of the machines. Never got samba to work correctly among three Ubuntu machines and SL so I replaced SL with Ubuntu 12.04.

I'm trying to configure all 4 of my machines identically and intend to use copies of smb.conf.master on all of them.

Just Joined!
    I would check the permissions of the files and directories involved, specifically those of . (current directory) and smb.conf. I'm assuming the current working directory is something like /etc/samba, right? Try 'ls -ld . smb.conf'. smb.conf needs write and . needs execute permissions.

Trusted Penguin
    yes, bmackin1 is in the right. the redirection (>) happens as the regular user, not as root. as a work around, you could try something like this:

Code:
    sudo bash -c 'testparm -s smb.conf.master > smb.conf'
    also, you might want to specify the full path when writing the file, e.g.:
    Code:
    > /etc/samba/smb.conf
    of course, the above method assumes sudo is set up for the current user to run bash in the first place.

Just Joined!
    Solved!
    Needed to quote the command:
    Code:
    sudo bash -c 'testparm -s /etc/samba/smb.conf.master > /etc/samba/smb.conf'
    Thanks, atreyu

Trusted Penguin
    Cheers!

Marking thread as Solved for you. Note you can do that yourself whenever you want, using the Thread Tools link at the top of the page.