Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using a MacBook Pro (5,1) on Ubuntu 12.04.1, which gets really hot because of the two GPU's it has. On Mac OS X I could control the fan ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot control fan speeds "There are no pwm-capable sensor modules"

I am using a MacBook Pro (5,1) on Ubuntu 12.04.1, which gets really hot because of the two GPU's it has. On Mac OS X I could control the fan speeds, but when I follow this,

"sudo apt-get install lm-sensors

Then you need to run sensors-detect.

sudo sensors-detect

and just follow the prompts. Add the recommended lines to /etc/modules.
    Now, if you don't want to reboot, you'll have to manually activate the modules.

sudo modprobe module1 module2

where module1 etc. = the module names provided from sensors-detect.
    Next, you need to create your fancontrol file. The easiest way is to run pwmconfig.

sudo pwmconfig
    and work your way through the instructions there.
    Finally, run sensors -s to make your fan configuration take effect.

sudo sensors -s

Now, you can check your temps.
    sensors
    Now to run fan control, type:

sudo /usr/sbin/fancontrol &"

when I use sudo pwmconfig, it says I have no pwm capable sensors. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks.

Here is a thread trouble shooting the same problem. They use a slightly different command syntax than what you posted. There's always more than one way to skin a cat. Maybe you'll get some ideas from the thread. About 1/2 way down the page one poster says he has a solution to your issue.

Here is a set up guide for a 6-2 with precise. I know very little about Macs and I'm not sure how much would apply to you. But I can't find a guide for a 5-1 /precise. Although this guide has set up for 5-1s with older versions of Ubuntu.

And have you looked in to Jupiter?

Just Joined!
    I got it sort of fixed with a package mention on a MBP 5,3. I can't control the fans, but as the temp changes the MacBook with change the fan speed to accommodate to the temp. It was this, to be excact:

"Fan Control
    Work, but needs the macfanctld package from the Mactel PPA installed to allow to Macbook Pro to control fan speed at as CPU temperature rises. This package is highly recommended!

Add repo:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mactel-support && sudo apt-get update
    Install macfanctld:

sudo apt-get install macfanctld"