Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am attempting to install Ubuntu on my new desktop PC however once I boot from a USB stick it appears not to recognize my Logitech keyboard and mouse. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB Keyboard and Mouse Not Recognized During Installation

I am attempting to install Ubuntu on my new desktop PC however once I boot from a USB stick it appears not to recognize my Logitech keyboard and mouse. The mouse and keyboard works in the BIOS as well as Windows 7 so it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. Any suggestions on what I could try to do in order to fix this? Also, I arrived at the same issue with Linux Mint 14. Thanks

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to the forum. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu so I am not surprised that you experienced similar issues. Does your BIOS have an option to enable "USB Legacy Support"? If so, enable it and try to install Ubuntu or Mint again.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by CMar View Post
    I am attempting to install Ubuntu on my new desktop PC however once I boot from a USB stick it appears not to recognize my Logitech keyboard and mouse. The mouse and keyboard works in the BIOS as well as Windows 7 so it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. Any suggestions on what I could try to do in order to fix this? Also, I arrived at the same issue with Linux Mint 14. Thanks
    Hello and welcome!

It's been a few years since I last installed ubuntu so I'm a bit unfamiliar with it these days, but if you haven't done so already, it might be worth taking a look at the kernel boot options available to you just before the usb stick begins to boot:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

With any luck, maybe there is something there that might toggle the USB ports to make them work for you. Another thing you can try if your mouse and keyboard are usb devices is to unplug them before or after boot, then plug them back in to see if they might get recognized.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I checked and the USB Legacy Support was enabled in the BIOS.

As for editing the boot options, I am fairly new to Linux and don't completely understand how to apply the parameters and variables. I took a look through the kernel-parameters.txt file online and came across things like:

atkbd.reset= [HW] Reset keyboard during initialization
    reset_devices [KNL] Force drivers to reset the underlying device
    during initialization.
    USB USB support is enabled.
    USBHID USB Human Interface Device support is enabled.
    psmouse.resetafter= [HW,MOUSE]
    Try to reset the device after so many bad packets
    (0 = never).
    MOUSE Appropriate mouse support is enabled.
    i8042.noaux [HW] Don't check for auxiliary (== mouse) port
    i8042.nokbd [HW] Don't check/create keyboard port

Could any of this be useful? If so what would be its syntax?

Thanks