Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I downloaded a file that is called Gimp-help-2.8.0.tar.bz2. I put it on my desktop. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 I understand that there is something that has to be done to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Installing Gimp manual from a .tar.bz2 file

I downloaded a file that is called
    Gimp-help-2.8.0.tar.bz2. I put it on my desktop.
    I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 I understand that there is something that has to be done to this file before I can use it. It's a manual on how to use the Gimp.
    I'm not to familiar on how to work with this file as I'm a newbie with Ubuntu.
    Thank you for your help.
    Montana

oz
    forum.guy
    You can check the following thread for some instructions on extracting tar.bz2 files:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/new...2-command.html

Not certain about this, but I believe the extracted file will simply be a data file that you can store wherever you want it rather than it being an "installed" file. If it is to be installed, check the extracted folder for any installation instructions. If you need it actually installed, your default package tool would be the best method of fetching and installing it if the package is available in your distro package repository.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    First step extracts the file
    Code:
    tar jxvf Gimp-help-2.8.0.tar.bz2
    and the Next step is the process of installation which is described in the file README or follow this process:

Code:
    $ ./configure
    $ make
    $ sudo make install
    Best Regards
    Last edited by wadha7o; 02-26-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: change the police of the word README

Linux Newbie
    I tried the above command and got the following results:

montana@montana-laptop:~$ tar -jxvf gimp-help-2.8.0.tar.bz2
    tar (child): gimp-help-2.8.0.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    montana@montana-laptop:~$ tar jxvf Gimp-help-2.8.0.tar.bz2
    tar (child): Gimp-help-2.8.0.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    montana@montana-laptop:~$

As you can see I tried it the way it was at the link and then the way you showed here. It seems neither one worked. The file I'm trying to open is a manual for geimp 2.8.0, any furhther help would be appreciated.
    Montana

oz
    forum.guy
    You'll need to be in the same directory that is holding the bz2 file when you run the extraction command, or you will have to use the full path to the file when you run the command.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Hell all I am going to post the results I got this time that is probably better than me trying to explain it

montana@montana-laptop:~$ tar -jxvf file file:///home/montana/Desktop/gimp-help-2.8.0.tar.bz2
    tar (child): file: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    montana@montana-laptop:~$ tar -jxvf file:///home/montana/Desktop/gimp-help-2.8.0.tar.bz2
    tar (child): Cannot connect to file: resolve failed

bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
    perhaps it is corrupted? *Possible* reason follows.
    bzip2: Invalid argument
    Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
    You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
    data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Child returned status 128
    montana@montana-laptop:~$

I wanted to thank you all for your help with this problem and your patience.
    Montana

oz
    forum.guy
    Try the following from the command line, assuming the .bz2 file is actually on the desktop (in the Desktop folder):

Code:
    cd Desktop
    tar -xvjf gimp-help-2.8.0.tar.bz2
    I just tested the same downloaded .bz2 file here using those commands and it worked fine.

Another option would be to simply use xarchiver, file-roller, or some other GUI compression/extraction tool to extract it.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Once the file has been extracted, you can check the folder contents and read the INSTALL file for installation instructions. Keep in mind that as noted earlier, you are better off to install this using the default package tool for your distribution rather than installing from source if the package is available to you.

Edit: assuming you are running ubuntu, I just did a package check and it appears that the latest gimp-help package they have in the ubuntu repo is version 2.6.1 which may or may not be all that different from the 2.8.0 version, depending on changes that occurred in Gimp.
    Last edited by oz; 02-26-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    What is ubuntu repo? I figured out that you were talking about the ubuntu software center so I went there and played with how to put in the request. I found the package and installed it but now I can't find the package. I looked in the intalled software area but didn't find it so I went to downloads and no package. Could you tell me where it would be? I also looked on the desktop and not there. Oh yea I'm using ubuntu 12.04.
    Thank you so much for your help.
    Montana

oz
    forum.guy
    A repo is a repository, as in a software repository.

I don't have gimp installed at the moment so can't test it, but try pressing F1 while gimp is opened to see if that will pull it up. You can also find a good many gimp tutorials and other documentation on using it at their website should any additional documentation be needed.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast