Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Sorry for my spelling and grammar errors, english is not my native launguage. I need to run VMware-Player-3.1.5-491717.i386 in lubuntu. It has to be that version only, cause my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to patch VMware Player 3.1.5 for 32 bit machine with Lubuntu 12.10

Hi

Sorry for my spelling and grammar errors, english is not my native launguage.

I need to run VMware-Player-3.1.5-491717.i386 in lubuntu. It has to be that version only, cause my motherboard architecture is 32bits. Thats why I cant use newer versions of vmware player.

I download this patch: vmware workstation 7.1.5 / player 3.1.5 fix for linux 3.2+ (patch by Ariel), I extracted and put in in my home folder.

From this website:

weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2012/01/26/vmware-workstation-8-0-2-player-4-0-2-fix-for-linux-kernel-3-2-and-3-3/

My steps:

1) Ok, so I already install VMware-Player-3.1.5-491717.i386

2) If I start VMware-Player-3.1.5-491717.i386 I get this error message:

VMware Kernel Module Updater, before you can run VMWare, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel.

3) Ok so time to use the patch

4) I put on terminal this commands:

a) sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`

b) chmod +x VMware-Player-3.1.5-491717.i386.bundle

sudo ./VMware-Player-3.1.5-491717.i386.bundle

c) sudo apt-get install patch

d) sudo ./patch-modules_3.2.0.sh

5) It finish the hole process succesfully and it patch it. But when I try to run vmware player, I still get the same error. Before with old kernel it worked properly and I was able to run it with no problems. But with new Lubuntu kernel, now I get the error message, and wont get away.

(VMware Kernel Module Updater, before you can run VMWare, several modules must be compiled and loaded into the running kernel)

6) I noticed that the patch I download has 2 files:

a) patch-modules_3.2.0.sh

b) vmware-715-kernel32.patch

I am able to run patch-modules_3.2.0.sh properly, and I am able to install it succesfully, but I dont know how to install or run vmware-715-kernel32.patch.

I getting the feeling that, this is why I am getting the errors message, because I havent install properly the vmware-715-kernel32.patch

Any ideas of what command I need to run in the terminal in order to run vmware-715-kernel32.patch, and been able to patch the kernel succesfully?

Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't know about VMware player in this situation, but VirtualBox will work very nicely with 32-bit systems - no patching required.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I don't know about VMware player in this situation, but VirtualBox will work very nicely with 32-bit systems - no patching required.

Hi, thanks for helping me.I asked the same questions on 6 diferent linux forums and no one knows. I am out of luck I suppose. But very soon I am going to buy new mother board, with 64 bit architecture and with bios option that can be compatible with virtualization (vmware,virtualbox, etc) so that run fast and smooth virtual machines. So I can use the most new vmware player versions.

I have two dims of ram memory, 1GB and 512. And I have a proccesor, Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80 GHz. Family Pentium 4, cache size 256kb, my motherboard is intel but 32 bits.

Virtualbox works perfectly for me, fast and smooth only if I use:

1) Host: Linux
    2) Guesst: windows

or

1) Host: windows
    2) Guesst: Linux

Virtual box does not run smooth and very, extremely slow, CPU goes to 100% cpu usage. Impossible to work with.Even with light small distribuitons and live cds, if I use:

1) Host: Linux
    2) Guesst; Linux

Unfourtanly the configuration I need is for a high security experiment I am running and I need to run:

1) Host: Linux (Lubuntu, openvpn encryption, and default account use for security that comes protected with apparmor in Lubuntu, and that do not use password and sudo is not allowed.)
    2) Guesst: Linux (live cd)