Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
(Sorry in advance for the run on sentence) So for the past six or seven hours I have tried to get Linux to work (Ubuntu, Sabanyo, Opensuse) and each one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Issues Installing/Booting

(Sorry in advance for the run on sentence)

So for the past six or seven hours I have tried to get Linux to work (Ubuntu, Sabanyo, Opensuse) and each one hangs at the install process, except for Ubuntu which didn't even make it, it just gave me a visual of a keyboard and what I assumed was a low res logo, and then it opened to some kind of command prompt not allowing me to use my keyboard or mouse, I have tried the livecd and the direct windows installer both have issues with me, any ideas why Ubuntu might be just hanging at that screen? Or any other of the variants? Also I have tried using a USB, Writeabable disk, multiple downloads to make sure it was not corrupt, and multiple image burning software's.

What are the hardware specs of the machine that you're trying to install on?

Are you sure that the machine that you're using to DL and burn everything is clean?

The first two thoughts that come to mind is that you're either trying to install to really old hardware and will have to go with one of the low spec distros or the source machine is badly corrupted with malware and that's why every disk you burn on it is bad.

Just Joined!
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Malware is a no it seems from the scan I did yesterday, and my specs aren't horribly dated.

What's the specific ASUSTeK model number?

-----
    Edit:

BTW, on a widows system a clean malware scan does not necessarily mean you are clean. There are too many ways to count for the malware to hide from the scanner.

Just Joined!
    Cm6630_cm6730_cm6830

Edit:
    Any recommendations on how to go about a better scan?

OK, they have three models that share drivers. Which one do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJames View Post
    Cm6630_cm6730_cm6830

Edit:
    Any recommendations on how to go about a better scan?
    There are tags on the bottom that should tell you the model #. What the tags are and what they say vary by manufacturer. But, if you flip it over and can't figure out the model # from the tags then either google those numbers or try to look them up at asus's web site and you should be able to figure it out. Also, if you bought from a company that offers a service plan on it then there will be a service tag on the bottom and logging in to your service account will tell you all about it; including model.

-------------

EDIT: I just looked at all the model #'s individually. They all belong to desktops. So you're tags will either be on the side of the case that slides open or on the back.

On further research it does not matter which model you have, the problem is the video card. Below I am including three links for you to *RESEARCH*!

You need to dig in to this carefully. Some of the recommendations in these links have the potential to destroy your system.

YOU HAVE BEEN FOREWARNED AND I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBILE IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER.

I would highly recommend against you hot swapping the video card as directed in one of the posts.

Personally, before I tried that I'd try to install with the vesa driver, see if I could get a bootable x session and start working from there.

Or do a minimal / command line install and build the system out from the ubuntu minimal core.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

Good luck

It looks like Linux installer are not configuring your Graphics Card properly. I would suggest you to try Text based installer. You can fix Graphics Card after successful installation. Try Ubuntu Alternate Installation CD/USB. It works fine with most of Graphics Cards.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Do you know if your computer's motherboard is running UEFI?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast