Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I`m in a mess here as i think i broke wine and all the apps i had in C/ virtual directory vanished..... Is there a way to get my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Tried installing .Net framework and ended up breaking Wine. Help !!

Hi,

I`m in a mess here as i think i broke wine and all the apps i had in C/ virtual directory vanished.....

Is there a way to get my original virtual C/ back with apps lost. I went to system settings - advanced - wine , and wine was not there. A window popped up asking if i would like to install it, i said yes. I have version wine 1.2 for my distro of kubuntu 8.04.

I would then like to install the .Net Framework if that`s possible as a program needs this to run.

Assuming .Net is installed does it need to be configured or does it run automatically in the background.

Thanks for your time and help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I don't think the .net framework is compatible with Wine. Have you tried using Mono natively on Linux? It is supposed to emulate the .net framework and virtual machine.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    Yes, i have mono in my repositories and i will try and install them , however, synaptic says that many packages will be affected. I will let you know what happens.

Linux Newbie
    I tried the install but after reloading the repos synaptic said that some packages failed to download and they would be skipped.

However, i can see the packs marked in repos . Kubuntu 8.04 works well for me and i am reluctant to change to 12.04.

I guess there`s no way around this .

Thanks, it was worth a try.