Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've just installed Ubuntu 11.04 XPlike on my mother's Acer AspireOne (1 GB Ram, dualcore processor 32 bit). Actually is quite slow, almost like WindowsXP, especially when it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu 11.04, really slow on Acer Aspire One

Hi all,
    I've just installed Ubuntu 11.04 XPlike on my mother's Acer AspireOne (1 GB Ram, dualcore processor 32 bit).
    Actually is quite slow, almost like WindowsXP, especially when it use different app at the same time or when it loads videos or HQ pictures.
    I know the hardware isn't really good, but there's any way to get Ubuntu more fit to the netbook?

Ubuntu 11.04 reached end of life/not supported last oct. Google it if you don't believe me. If wanting a Ubuntu based fast system that will be easy for your mom to use/
    Look into Watt OS or Lubuntu.

I would use the releases for my mom based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS since they are longer term support releases.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by WestITA View Post
    Hi all,
    I've just installed Ubuntu 11.04 XPlike on my mother's Acer AspireOne (1 GB Ram, dualcore processor 32 bit).
    Actually is quite slow, almost like WindowsXP, especially when it use different app at the same time or when it loads videos or HQ pictures.
    I know the hardware isn't really good, but there's any way to get Ubuntu more fit to the netbook?

I use Xubuntu on my netbook, it has a lot less in spec. than your does and works brilliantly! Failing that you could try something like Macpup 529, which has an extremely small "footprint" and is pretty damned fast!

Just Joined!
    I can't see it running well on a system with only 1GB RAM. Certainly that's your holdup when you're multitasking...

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by WestITA View Post
    Hi all,

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my AOA and find it runs fine, XP in Virtual Box naturaly is a bit short of memory otherwise I am very pleased with the system and have no problem with the hardware. I did consider adding a flash drive but realise it it a difficult job dismantly the whole machine and so did not bother.

Regards

Just Joined!
    I've installed it so that would be easy for my mom to use it. She isn't really practical of computer. Maybe I'll try with puppy xp-like, but graphically is too poor.

Anyway I've check the performance. The RAM is ok, but the CPU without any work is normally used at the 42%. Quite strange...
    Last edited by WestITA; 04-10-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Just Joined!
    Just an aside, I notice switching to mains power I get a message ' using maximum performance' which suggests performance is reduced for battery power saving.
    Also i use 'Ubuntu Tweak' to free up the space after software updates are installed.
    Hope that helps.

Just Joined!
    i've experienced the same thing on a 2-3 year old ACER REVO, ubuntu 12.1 runs about as fast as Debian on my Raspberry Pi (a 30 dollar computer with an ARM processor)