Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, so I just got gifted a computer (a few years old, it's an Acer Revo an old budget computer) and i'm stoked to see upon booting the os all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

just installed ubuntu, how do i remove the windows partition?

Okay, so I just got gifted a computer (a few years old, it's an Acer Revo an old budget computer) and i'm stoked to see upon booting the os all the hardware is compatible and had my wifi set up in seconds. So I really have no use for Windows 7 now, and since I installed from windows 7 a dual-boot was automatically created.

At this point all I want to do is have one main partition for Ubuntu, i might want to partition something else later but for now all I need to know is, how do I safely get rid of the MS software and any remnants of it?

thanks for the help like I said stoked about the switch

Just Joined!
    also -> worth mentioning when I go to -> computer, it lists the filesystem and the hard drive, when I double click the hard drive it says "unable to mount filesystem"

Also -- I just installed tux racer to test the speed, and since i've ended the program the resolution has been ****ed up and I can't seem to refresh it back to normal, even after rebooting a couple times, andy thoughts? it's a 19 inch samsung monitor..

Linux Guru
    Since you've already encountered a problem, it might be best if you held on to windows for a while, your choice. You would simply format the windows partition(s) from Ubuntu to get rid of them. You haven't given any drive/partition information so there is no way to give you more specific instructions. The "unable to mount filesystem" error comes when you click 'computer' you would need to be more specific about that. Is that your windows "C:\" partition or something else.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Since you've already encountered a problem, it might be best if you held on to windows for a while, your choice. You would simply format the windows partition(s) from Ubuntu to get rid of them. You haven't given any drive/partition information so there is no way to give you more specific instructions. The "unable to mount filesystem" error comes when you click 'computer' you would need to be more specific about that. Is that your windows "C:\" partition or something else.

I don't know if my res problem has to do with Ubuntu's GUI being buggy or if it's this monitor, but i'd say it's the former because it's picking up the fact that's it's a 19" samsung. I've got windows machines and this is kind of a throw-away computer, but I appreciate your concern cause it's not going to be simple to reinstall windows without downloading it (and I assume paying for that download)

I created no partitions before installing ubuntu, so that must be the windows C:\ drive

thanks

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If you did a wubi install then getting rid of Windows would probably get rid of Linux as wubi creates the Ubuntu install as a file under Windows. If you are happy to get rid of Windows, then the best bet in such a case is to do a native install.

I have seen games that when played full screen will leave you at a strange resolution but not that persist after a reboot! If you bring up dash and search for displays, can you manually reset your resolution from there?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    that's what's bugging the hell out of me. I selected the default resolution, and when I click 'apply' the screen goes black. Then a reboot will bring me back to the same funked up resolution as before.

My problem with doing a native installation is this computer only has SD/USB memory and I was trying to get this done without buying a stick (all my flash cards are like 4 gigs) so Wubi seemed like a good option but it only gives you an option for installation size, up to 30g

Linux Guru
    If all you have are 4GB flash drives, you might try using unetbootin to put the Ubuntu Live CD on a flash and use the persistence option. That will allow you to save files/folders and settings but using a flash will be slower than a hard drive install. You can download unetbootin at the link below, make sure you get the windows version.

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

I would suggest you read the instructions before doing anything, particularly anything dealing with persistence. That option should work with Ubuntu.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the advice,
    i think i'm just going to go buy a larger flash drive so I can wipe windows off of this machine,
    all of a sudden (a couple weeks before i installed an ubuntu part) Windows is telling me I have a counterfeit version of windows 7, which is NOT true, so once again just going to have to say eff Microsoft in the a. I wanted to put PC-BSD on here but I don't know how well it's going to compute with a budget acer machine.
    I preferred Ubuntu 12.1 to windows 7 even though it runs about as fast as Debian on my raspberry pi (which is an arm processor, about as fast as a 400mhz pentium), if that says anything about my distaste for windows.