Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, Well, it`s taken around 5 years but i finally installed version 12.12.1 - the latest stable. Can i say that i am already missing the ease of use of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

kubuntu 12.12.1 - No synaptic manager and other problems !!!

Hi,

Well, it`s taken around 5 years but i finally installed version 12.12.1 - the latest stable.

Can i say that i am already missing the ease of use of 8.04. I am bewildered to find a flashplayer version 9.0 , incredible.

The os is going mad saying i must update - so i am ( trying too ).

It seems that no matter what i do my os will not let me move to trash ( where is the bin in 12.12 ? ) or delete .

I remember in 8.04 having the option of being root so as to edit these files. On this os i`m abit lost.

I have also noticed that try as i have , there dosn`t seem to be a Synaptic Package Manager ?

I also miss the ability of installing icon short cuts direct to the bottom taskbar.

Last but not least , the destop , how can you make it look like 8.04 with all the important program icons vertical and in full view ( not hidden ).

Please , help me.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, Ubuntu became useless after 9.04. That was the last version that I could work with, without going through hoops to get the system running like I want, and without custom installation of a lot of hardware drivers (WiFi, bluetooth, etc). So, I stopped using Ubuntu altogether about 3 years ago. These days, I run Scientific Linux (a RedHat Enterprise clone) on both my workstation and laptop. Yes, I had to custom-install the WiFi drivers for my Broadcom chip set on the laptop, but other than that, it works great! A bit dated (runs kernel 2.6.32), but very reliable and I can hibernate/restore without problems.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    I have an os within my multimedia which only allows kubuntu updates . The os would not work and crash if i installed something else.

Not needing a netbook or similar , i am slowly tweaking what i can.

What i would like to do is go into a root access folder and change the flash.so . This was very simple in 8.04 but in 12.12 i keep getting access denied.

Help on this would be welcome.

Thanks.

Well, it`s taken around 5 years but i finally installed version 12.12.1 - the latest stable.
    12.10?

there dosn`t seem to be a Synaptic Package Manager ?
    Kubuntu Desktop Guide - Adept Package Manager

Last but not least , the destop , how can you make it look like 8.04 with all the important program icons vertical and in full view ( not hidde
    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/forumdi...Documentation&

Like rubberman I don't do Kubuntu. Look left to see what I run. If the new KDE is too over whelming for you to learn.
    Maybe using Xubuntu will make you fell more like you are in 8.04.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux User
    1) Look here for general guidance: Kubuntu Quantal -

2) To update, connect to the Internet, open Konsole Terminal Program, input the commands:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

3) Kubuntu does generally not use a system which gives you Root access, it uses sudo instead. That "temporarily" gives you rights.

4) If you want Synaptic then install it Use the command:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic

5) If you want a flash-plugin look and a bunch of other useful stuff use the command:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras

6) If you are still having problems, as rokytnji alludes to, you could try asking Kubuntu Forums at http://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum.php

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    For a more traditional view of the desktop in KDE 4, select "Folder View"

• Right click on the desktop
    • Click "Appearance Settings"
    • Change from "Desktop" to "Folder View"
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Linux Guru
    If you want Synaptic, you may be able to install it. Some of the Ubuntu derivatives allow you to do that, I don't know if you can do it with Kubuntu. Try going to the KMenu, up to Applications, then System and selecting either Package Manager or Software Center and in the search box, enter synaptic.

Root permissions to edit files can probably be obtained by opening a terminal from the KMenu and using 'sudo su', or kdesu although you may need kdesudo, not sure.
    To delete a file, click it and then hold down the Shift/Delete keys simultaneously and you will get a pop-up asking if you really want to delete. If you single-click a file and it open a file and it opens, hold down the Ctrl key while clicking. Shouldn't happen though as most Ubuntus default to the double-click.

I agree with yancek. If you prefer Synaptic over Adept then you should install Synaptic only. Kubuntu was my main distro a few years back and synaptic installation was first thing I used to do after fresh Kubuntu install.

Use kdesu to run any package with root privileges.
    e.g.
    Code:
    kdesu kwrite
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Thank you so much for all this information .

Primarily, i need a walk through on deleting files and replacing them into the same directory , i.e. flashlibplayer.so .

Here are 2 screen captures, both of which are eluding me.

I just don`t understand either the syntax error or the instructions .

I just want to replace flash 9 with flash 11.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Which bit of the instructions are you not understanding?

As for the error, it looks like you don't need the < and > in the path name. By convention, they denote a place holder. It also looks like you are using a wrong path in there.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast