Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was very curious about this. Ultimate Edition swear they are their own OS built off a Ubuntu shell, but to me it seems it is just an edition of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Curiosity: Ubuntu and UE Same?

I was very curious about this. Ultimate Edition swear they are their own OS built off a Ubuntu shell, but to me it seems it is just an edition of Ubuntu with packages already installed and ready to go. Correct me if I am wrong. They advise you to not download updates while installing and say to only do sudo apt-get update after install. No upgrade and no package manager with only Kde Plasma desktop available after install. They also say do not do upgrade or manager because it will break your system. Hmmmm, I did and it's never been better. All works and so much more including different desktop environments. I will say that I am not a programmer and their is also much I do not understand, but I'm not a total idiot either. I posed this ? on their forums with my results. I was then asked a ? from a moderator and before I could reply, the topic was locked as solved making it appear that it was solved and that I did wrong by updating and broke my OS, which as far as I can tell, upgrade just improved on what I had. Nothings broke. more works! faster especially with boot time. Maybe I just haven't given it long enough to break? I may very well know jack sh**, but it seems to me that something doesn't add up. If it really does improve, why would they wanna lock us out.? They say that upgrade switches the OS to a Ubuntu os, which they are not. Hmmmm. Anybody is welcome to correct me if I am wrong as that is my purpose is to inquire about this. Thanks.

P.S. It is not my intent to offend, I'm just a straight shooter and expect no less from others.

It's how many distros are created. They start with distro X (Ubuntu in this case) and add things they like or that they think you might want and add their own logos/branding and repos. If you point it at a different repo you will eventually, end up with a bastardized version. I can't comment on the forum you posted in, I don't know enough about that.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    It's how many distros are created. They start with distro X (Ubuntu in this case) and add things they like or that they think you might want and add their own logos/branding and repos. If you point it at a different repo you will eventually, end up with a bastardized version. I can't comment on the forum you posted in, I don't know enough about that.
    Understood friend. My aim was really to inquire about why you shouldn't upgrade this? I understood how you said it will end up "basardizing" it, but I'm not seeing that. I see it as the same as their release with updates. It still runs the same and has all packages (Except for the fact it's faster now) and has more. I really see no difference between their release and putting the Kde plasma on your Ubuntu distro yourself except for the time saved. I really do appreciate their effort and it is awesome no doubt, but feels a little misleading

Quote Originally Posted by Levi88 View Post
    Understood friend. My aim was really to inquire about why you shouldn't upgrade this? I understood how you said it will end up "basardizing" it, but I'm not seeing that. I see it as the same as their release with updates. It still runs the same and has all packages (Except for the fact it's faster now) and has more. I really see no difference between their release and putting the Kde plasma on your Ubuntu distro yourself except for the time saved. I really do appreciate their effort and it is awesome no doubt, but feels a little misleading
    I could be wrong here because I've never tried it myself but I do think in the long run if you deviate from the authors instructions you will run into troubles which might be a pain the butt to diagnose and or fix. For example if the author releases program X that requires program Z version 2....but you have a program Z version 1 installed from elsewhere, boom, meet brick wall. Perhaps you'll get lucky and won't have any problems what so ever. Do let us know how it works out. You never know, you may have just created the greatest distro ever.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I could be wrong here because I've never tried it myself but I do think in the long run if you deviate from the authors instructions you will run into troubles which might be a pain the butt to diagnose and or fix. For example if the author releases program X that requires program Z version 2....but you have a program Z version 1 installed from elsewhere, boom, meet brick wall. Perhaps you'll get lucky and won't have any problems what so ever. Do let us know how it works out. You never know, you may have just created the greatest distro ever.

LOL. I very seriously doubt that I could create such thing, but I appreciate your enthusiasm. I have used several distros based off Ubuntu and can distinctly tell they are their own. As far as I can tell with UE though as it is just Ubuntu. Let me clarify. Zorin for ex has their own layout and so does Mint and others, but the layout and functions that I am seeing are readily available on Ubuntu I'm not a programmer or even close and I know stuff can get very complex. The UE 3.5 appears to be just Ubuntu with the Kde plasma already configured and nada for the other desktop environments, even though they appear at the login screen. The other environments don't work cause of the kwin and other configs and missing packages. When I do sudo upgrade, the Kde stays just like it was released, but gives the files to operate the other desktops. Kwin might be the issue if any as far as upgrading? I'm using it now and love it. I'm not such a fan of the Kde plasma. It's awesome, but since I have a bit to learn, it's a pain to configure. I can't just have awesome graphics and 3D cubes and just not use them. I haven't found a good source yet for learning how to configure, plus most of the cube settings are compiz if I'm not mistaken. I'm not really familiar with kwin