Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, new to the forums, but not Linux. I have been using for around 3 years now, starting with ubuntu, moving through puppy and crunchbang, I have fallen in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mount device not listed in mtab or fstab OR blkid

Hi guys, new to the forums, but not Linux. I have been using for around 3 years now, starting with ubuntu, moving through puppy and crunchbang, I have fallen in love with bodhi linux, I know its not Ubuntu and these are the forums, but it is close enough to ubuntu and for the sake of this problem, they are identicle.

So, I have a 4gb SD card that wont mount on insert, all the restof my SD cards will, but not this one. I remember having the same problem on Ubuntu and at least one other distro, windows also does not recognise it (whoda thought it?!)

so, I can see the partition table in fdisk, and I have played around with multiple FS types and options, I even re-wrote the partition table in parted to make sure it wasnt a partion table problem.

I cant mount at /mnt/### or /media/### even with confirming i have permissions.

It is not just this SD card that has problems, I also have one partition on my SSD that does not show. It used to, but only as read-only, so I attempted to reformat and add to fstab as a RW drive (just changing fstab was not working) and now I cannot see this partition at all except via fdisk.

So, any ideas on how to get acess to these drives. once I can mount I will take the UUID using blkid but its not happening.

Some readouts:

root# mount -t vfat /dev/sdb /media/tmpmnt/
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so
    root# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 16.1 GB, 16139354112 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1962 cylinders, total 31522176 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0005ce8d

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 63 96389 48163+ b W95 FAT32
    /dev/sda2 98302 9797631 4849665 5 Extended
    /dev/sda3 9797632 31522175 10862272 86 NTFS volume set
    /dev/sda5 98304 7909375 3905536 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 7911424 9797631 943104 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 4029 MB, 4029677568 bytes
    124 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1023 cylinders, total 7870464 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0000e27f
    fdisk -l shows the drive in question, as well as the partition sda3 that I cannot mount

root# blkid
    /dev/sda1: UUID="3C36-22D7" TYPE="vfat"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="cf7c1e4a-6e64-404c-9a7a-5949b738fef2" TYPE="ext2"
    /dev/sda6: UUID="65ef682d-6124-4e47-9eab-ea05bad01d1b" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/zram0: UUID="6c29cc37-7d78-443d-9f15-819f3e7bfa76" TYPE="swap"
    Nothing coming up for a possible change in fstab

So, im at a loss here, a little searching showed me blkid (which i didnt know about, but I can see is handy as hell!) but nothing of use to me.

I appreciate your time, I have wasted too much on this already without results and im sure there is a simple solution, but it escapes me...

Peace, John

Hi and Welcome !

In first command, partition number is missing. You can't mount any drive as it is. You have to specify partition number.
    Code:
    mount -t vfat /dev/sdbX /media/tmpmnt/
    X is partition number.

According to output of fdisk command, /dev/sdb is not partitioned. I would suggest you to create partition, format it and execute mount command after that.
    Code:
    fdisk /dev/sdb
    Press n to create new partition. Press P and then hit Enter key to create Primary Partition (sdb1). Press w to write changes.

Execute this to format partition with FAT.
    Code:
    mkfs.vfat /dev/sdb1
    Mount it
    Code:
    mkdir /media/sdb1
    mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1
    Check /media/sdb1 folder.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    mmm, yeah I copied the wrong command, I tried a few just in case. well spotted

After a reboot I checked out with fdisk, cfdisk and parted, and all of them confirmed that I did not have any partitions on sdb. So I created a primary partition and left it as linux (I dont need this SD card except as extra internal memory)

Still having mount problems however:

root# mount -t ext2 /dev/sdc1 /media/tmpmnt
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so
    dmesg reveals that it cannot find an ext2 filesystem on that partition, so I try all native linux filesytems (ext2, ext3, ext4, etc.) associated with type: 83 in fdisk and cfdisk.

So I reformat the disk (using fdisk) to fat32, and get the same error.

I haven't tried this rigamole with sda3, my secondary OS partiton on my SSD, something which I'd rather not mess around with so much.

I checked the SD card in my camera, and it will format, store pictures, and after ejecting and replacing, will show said pictures back to the camera, but not be read by the laptop's internal card reader...

confuzzled...

J x

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by barefoot-baker View Post
    Code:
    /dev/sda3 9797632 31522175 10862272 86 NTFS volume set
    fdisk -l shows the drive in question, as well as the partition sda3 that I cannot mount
    try the newer version of the ntfs module to mount that dir, e.g.:

Code:
    mkdir /mnt/ntfs
    mount -o ntfs-3g /dev/sda3 /mnt/ntfs
    as to your SD card issue, did you reboot after repartitioning the device? sometimes the kernel insists on this, before acknowledging the partition table changes (this is a partx trick to this, though...). also, did you format it with an ext filesystem before trying to mount it as an ext filesystem? i did not see that. here's an example:

Code:
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdc1
    mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/disk
    if you are accessing the SD Card from a camera or from Windows, you might want to keep it FAT, though, e.g.:

Code:
    mkfs.vfat /dev/sdc1
    mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/disk
    NOTE: don't blindly use "/dev/sdc1", i was just re-using your example. always double-check that you have the right drive before you do destructive things to it!

Just Joined!
    in a netcafe, we got a powercut ATM in KTM, but i made notes.

I didnt try the ntfs-3g, looks interesting. ill give it a go and read up later.

never used mkfs before, never needed to, never new it existed, this could well be what I was looking for! thanks!

As for blindly following anything, thats not for me, thanks for your concern though I have been using linux for a while now, and you cant get far without a little basic knowledge XD

power is coming back in the morning, so ill try and get some fix done and post my output by this time tomorrow. mkfs.ext2 should do the trick I belive. (ext3 is a journalised filesystem right?) vfat I am not so bothered with, its handy but I dont need.

What is interesting though is that my camera formats in speedstor filesystem type, which I cant mount automatically in Bodhi (maybe other distros it would. maybe I could add functionality to my box, but I wont, it works fine in vfat, and this card isnt for my camera anyhow), BUT other SD cards in speedstor format will show up as an option to mount on my desktop device manager (I guess it runs from mtab, but not sure), then fail to mount. This SD card just wont show anywhere except when I try and partition it...

ahhh, the intracacies of technology. I remember the simplicity of using a sinclair 81 ... and machine code... ok, technology was always a brainf#ck!
    Last edited by barefoot-baker; 05-11-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: tired and stupid semantic technical mistake

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by barefoot-baker View Post
    never used mkfs before, never needed to, never new it existed, this could well be what I was looking for!
    just note that it is a destructive command. make sure you really want to format the partition you give it! it should fail if the partition is currently mounted, but still, it is good to check yourself.

Just Joined!
    awesomeness, mkfs.ext2 worked!

how did I never come across mkfs before?

thanks atreyu, top advice