Find the answer to your Linux question:
looking for an external drive for backup and quick emergency to go that's compatible with ubuntu. I have been looking at ... Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 Black Desktop Hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!
    If you can't figure it out, you are probably around my level.

external drive compatibility and cohesiveness

looking for an external drive for backup and quick emergency to go that's compatible with ubuntu. I have been looking at ...

Seagate Expansion 2TB USB 3.0 Black Desktop Hard Drive STBV2000100

But I'm not sure how good these drives are or how well they would work with ubuntu server.

Thanks,

Linux Enthusiast
    They will work with Ubuntu Server, however; USB drives tend to fail if continuously connected. USB drives are to be connected read or written and then disconnected. Often have "green drives" and poor heat dissipation; both tend to cause the drives to fail faster in used continuously.

If you expect USB3 speed, your hard needs to support USB3.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    USB drives tend to fail if continuously connected.
    I've been using a pair of USB connected drives to do backups on our servers for several years. One lives onsite and the other at the bosses' house. They swap the drives nominally once a week. No failures. They are set to auto mount / umount. When autofs umounts them they spin down, so they spend 90% of their day physically connected but spun down.

Each drive is a 3TB Hitachi XL3000

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I have a Seagate Backup Plus 4 TB USB 3.0 Desktop Ext hdd STCA4000100 that is attached to one of my linux based servers. The server and hdd run 24/7 and data is accessed/transferred everyday. I have had no issues whatsoever even though it is external.

If you need plenty of space, these 4 tb drives are top rated.