Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I was fooling around on my Ubuntu and wanted to learn about setuid bits, and I noticed that if I chmod bash with u+s as root, i can't run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

bash ignores setuid bit, but why? and proof?

Hello! I was fooling around on my Ubuntu and wanted to learn about setuid bits, and I noticed that if I chmod bash with u+s as root, i can't run it as privileged if i'm not root. I did some googling to find out that it's additional security that's added on bash. Why? If i do the same with zsh, it works as expected. Is there a setuid call that's called anywhere when bash/zsh is started where it ignores/sets the euid?
    Thanks!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Good questions. Have no clue. Is it bash that ignores the bit, or the scripts? Also, this is incredibly dangerous! If allowed, it would give ANYONE who has system access full root privileges, so I would say that the bash writers have done the correct thing. Some tools need root privileges, such as changing your password which has to update /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, both of which are root-restricted for updates.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Enthusiast
    Scripts can not make use of the SID sticky bit.

Please see: Setuid and shell scripts, explained

Actually you need to be able to call a library call to switch to the user in the program that is making use of the owner sticky bit.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    Scripts can not make use of the SID sticky bit.

Please see: Setuid and shell scripts, explained

Actually you need to be able to call a library call to switch to the user in the program that is making use of the owner sticky bit.
    You can run it as root if you use the "su" or "sudo" command to do it, though you will either need the password for the root account (for "su") or have appropriate privileges set in /etc/sudoers (for "sudo").
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!