Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, I used Ubuntu for a meager amount of time a few years ago. I haven't touched it since but it has stayed installed. My OS is out of date, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Reinstalling the OS

Hello,

I used Ubuntu for a meager amount of time a few years ago. I haven't touched it since but it has stayed installed.

My OS is out of date, and when I try to update with 'sudo apt-get upgrade' it says it can't access some package and access is denied.

The entire OS itself is very clunky and slow, but it never used to be this way. Programs take a long time to load, etc.

How can I upgrade my OS or just delete it from the partition and reinstall it?

Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!

Upgrade

Have you tried sudo apt-get upgrade then after that has completed reboot the system then try sudo apt-get upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by redrufus View Post
    Hello,

I used Ubuntu for a meager amount of time a few years ago. I haven't touched it since but it has stayed installed.

My OS is out of date, and when I try to update with 'sudo apt-get upgrade' it says it can't access some package and access is denied.

The entire OS itself is very clunky and slow, but it never used to be this way. Programs take a long time to load, etc.

How can I upgrade my OS or just delete it from the partition and reinstall it?

Thanks in advance.

Linux Guru
    If you have Ubuntu 11.10 or earlier, you will not be able to upgrade in the standard fashion from the repositories as these versions are no longer supported. Take a look at the link below for details on releases and support times:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

You can download a current release from the Ubuntu site, burn it to disc as an image and reinstall to the same partition on which you had the previous version of Ubuntu.

You almost certainly need to do a clean install.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

You definitely need to do a clean install.
    Your case is very similar to mine. I did a clean install of 12.10 on my existing 8.04 & recently had 13.04 installed on my machine. Dual boot with Win 7, it runs like a breeze... Good luck.

Just Joined!
    The command in a case like this is:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    That should ensure, that you get new repositories.

When that is said, I think that it is best to make a clean install in your case.

Just Joined!
    Okay, I did a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

But the OS is still very clunky and slow. Here are the problems I am having:

-software manager keeps crashing
    -everything takes forever to load. Even the terminal takes way too long to load and process commands
    -chrome will not install. I keeps giving me errors.

What is causing all this?

Linux Guru
    Ubuntu 12.04 requires a lot of resources so it may be your hardware. Since you haven't posted any information on your hardware, there is no way to tell but the problems you indicate would come from using old hardware.

Try Lubuntu or Xubuntu instead, they should operate faster than Ubuntu's default wm/de.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Ubuntu 12.04 requires a lot of resources so it may be your hardware. Since you haven't posted any information on your hardware, there is no way to tell but the problems you indicate would come from using old hardware.
    Intel QuadCore Q6600 2.50 GHz
    4GB RAM
    64 bit OS
    Samsung HD502U SCSI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast