Find the answer to your Linux question:
so i just got back into rooting cell phones and i just rooted my galaxy s3 the other day. i had to this via my windows 7 partition because i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

trouble with phone mounting on ubuntu

so i just got back into rooting cell phones and i just rooted my galaxy s3 the other day. i had to this via my windows 7 partition because i couldnt get the samsung drivers needed to root to install on ubuntu. so i finally got the drivers to install and the program you would use (odin) runs fine in wine but when i try to connect my phone the program doesnt pick it up. and i get an error on ubuntu about how the phone is mounted. its weird because i can access my sd card and add music and other files. if any one has a suggestion for me to try or knows a sure fix that would be great! if not no worries, doesnt take much to switch over...

Can you change the USB settings on the phone? It might help.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Can you change the USB settings on the phone? It might help.
    Before the last firmware update you could select what mode you wanted to mount as but now they say all those modes are detected by plugging in. I find it strange that when i plug in it knows that it is a samsung device and it shows 2 icons in the side bar. Im scratching my head pretty hard on this one lol....

Just Joined!
    When I plug my device in it asks me what do and i selected "do nothing" and checked always perform this function, its opens this prompt twice. after that it opes an erros box saying " unable to mount (device name)" "Error initializing: -60: Could not lock the device"
    Screenshot from 2013-05-25 07:29:54.jpg

Well, you know there is more tha one drive on the SIII, correct? I have the SII and it has USB drive and Internal drive. Are you trying to mount the correct drive?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Well, you know there is more tha one drive on the SIII, correct? I have the SII and it has USB drive and Internal drive. Are you trying to mount the correct drive?
    yes im aware. but it gives you no option on what you want to mount. the rom im going to flash will add a feature to allow you to select what you mount the phone as, charge only, mass storage etc. similar to a boot loaders menu. i was spit balling with some people on an android forum and they have no doubt that, when it mounts on a stock root, it should be recognized through odin. but i ahvent come across any linux users over there so they couldnt help to much. the fact that i can add music to my phone and access the file system on the internal and external memory makes me think that odin can not recognize the way ubuntu is mounting the phone. if that makes any sense to you.