Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I have this Toshiba Satellite p755 that came with windows 7 at the time. During a bios update the thing freezes for a couple hours and I eventually am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Mint & Ubuntu install fine but will not boot after install.

So I have this Toshiba Satellite p755 that came with windows 7 at the time.

During a bios update the thing freezes for a couple hours and I eventually am forced to unplug the thing. It turns into a 700 dollar brick that freezes at the windows screen every time.

I decide to just switch to Linux.

Load up Mint and everything is going well. the live cd boots up and the install goes well, everything is great. go through the reboot process, cd pops out, reboots, FREEZES.

I do this a few times before I decide to try ubuntu. same exact thing happens with ubuntu.

as a last ditch effort i decide to try the "boot repair disk" at source forge by yannubuntu

It ran through its thing and said it did some stuff, but the problem persisted.

I am thinking it must be something deeper than the operating system that im running because all three OS's freeze at the start screen.

I thought that perhaps it was the hard drive itself, but then how is mint and Ubuntu able to install at all?

I thought maybe bios was messed up, but then how was i even able to start installing anything?

any help here would be great. I cannot imagine there is anything physically wrong with this laptop, so there must be something I can do.

During a bios update the thing freezes for a couple hours and I eventually am forced to unplug the thing. It turns into a 700 dollar brick that freezes at the windows screen every time.
    Is this upgrade to a UEFI bios?

Load up Mint and everything is going well. the live cd boots up and the install goes well, everything is great. go through the reboot process, cd pops out, reboots, FREEZES.
    Freezing in Windows and Freezing in Linux does not bode well. Have you googled starting Mint in Compatible Mode?

You will help you thread some by booting our Live Mint and opening a terminal and posting in replies.

Code:
    sudo dmidecode | less
    and

Code:
    inxi -F
    and

Code:
    sudo blkid
    and

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    That is a lower case L after the dash not a one 1 or capital i.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Which BIOS update did you install? 2.80 is the latest.

Change History
    Version 2.80 - 2012-11-23•Fixed: The computer will hang at the Windows logo when "Fast Boot" is enabled.