Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recent attempted to install the 32 bit version, had a dual boot system before with Win7 Ultimate, install ran fine until very last step which was the GRUB loader, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu 12.04 install issues

I recent attempted to install the 32 bit version, had a dual boot system before with Win7 Ultimate, install ran fine until very last step which was the GRUB loader, then it kept saying "unable to write" in location. So I opted to cancel installation but when I restarted unable to boot into either Win 7 or previous linux system. Tried running the boot repair desk from "sourceforge" but that just resulted in "NTLDR missing" still not boot....If I loose Linux fine....but I want Win 7, so what can I do?

Linux Guru
    Go to the link below and review the option 'via the Live CD Terminal'. Read carefully before beginning. You will need to know what partition your new Ubuntu is on which is explained and you will obviously need to use the Ubuntu install CD/DVD to do this. If you just want windows back, you could use your windows installation CD/DVD and select the 'Repair' option to reinstall windows to the mbr. If none of this resolves your issue, you will need to post more detailed information which you can get by running the bootinfoscript. Go to the link below using your Ubuntu CD, read the instructions, download and run it and post the results.txt file here.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Go to the link below and review the option 'via the Live CD Terminal'. Read carefully before beginning. You will need to know what partition your new Ubuntu is on which is explained and you will obviously need to use the Ubuntu install CD/DVD to do this. If you just want windows back, you could use your windows installation CD/DVD and select the 'Repair' option to reinstall windows to the mbr. If none of this resolves your issue, you will need to post more detailed information which you can get by running the bootinfoscript. Go to the link below using your Ubuntu CD, read the instructions, download and run it and post the results.txt file here.
    Thank you, but where is the Link?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I am guessing this is what yanek meant to post

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr..._Broken_System

via the LiveCD terminal

This method uses the terminal from a LiveCD. The user must know the device name/partition of the installed system (sda1, sdb5, etc), which is then mounted from the LiveCD. GRUB 2 files are copied from the LiveCD libraries to the proper locations and MBR.

This operation will write to the MBR and restore the modules and core.img to /boot/grub. It will not replace or restore grub.cfg or fix corrupted files. Boot the LiveCD, select "Try It", and open a terminal.
    For the boot info script I think

Boot Info Script: How to

But you will be running the boot info script from a live dvd session will be the only difference I think. I would wait for yanek to respond as I may be way off base here.

Linux Guru
    I'd like to say that's the first time I've done this, unfortunately...
    Those are the correct links. Thanks rokytnji.

Just Joined!
    cant post links, i need 15 posts at least to be able to post links, so you have to google what i tell you, sorry.

If your windows 7 is 64 bit, you need to use another pc, 64, go to cpanel and "create a windows repair disk" and use it to auto repair your windows partition, if your windows is 32 bit, you need to use a 32 bit pc to create a windows repair disk, i haven't tried using a 64 bit repair disk on a 32 bit system or vise versa but it's not worth the risk, once the CD boots it will detect issues and fix them automatically. just google "create windows repair disk"

You should be able to recover windows, lets work on linux now, download "boot repair disk" google it, it's the first link on sourceforge, burn it to disk and repair your grub using it, it's also an automatic repair, pretty straight forward and easy to use