Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I had ubuntu os along with windowsxp in my system.But recently a friend installed windows7 & while installing it both ubuntu& windowsxp had gone.He did'nt delete the os .So ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recovering ubuntu

Hi
    I had ubuntu os along with windowsxp in my system.But recently a friend installed windows7 & while installing it both ubuntu& windowsxp had gone.He did'nt delete the os .So how to recover Ubuntu os ?
    Please help
    Yours faithfully
    Nithyabharathim

Linux Guru
    He may have overwritten both xp and Ubuntu. Without more information, there is no way for anyone to tell. Do you have an Ubuntu (or any Linux) Live CD you can boot to get partition information? If so, do that and if it is Ubuntu run the command: sudo fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in command) and post the output here. If you are able to boot windows 7, you should be able to go to 'Computer' or 'My Computer' from the main menu and see if xp is still there. I would think installing windows 7 would detect another windows system (xp) but I've never installed windows 7, so...?

Just Joined!
    Try reinstalling GRUB bootloader. It will scan for existing OS's and write the access menu for it all?

Just Joined!
    ht tp://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

Burn it to a cd. This program will not fail you.

Just Joined!
    Also download SuperGrub, another great tool for MBRs

Linux Newbie

Installing Windows7

Quote Originally Posted by nithyabharathi View Post
    Hi
    I had ubuntu os along with windowsxp in my system.But recently a friend installed windows7 & while installing it both ubuntu& windowsxp had gone.He did'nt delete the os .So how to recover Ubuntu os ?
    Please help
    Yours faithfully
    Nithyabharathim
    Hi.

First, a question : did you pay for Windows 7 ? If no, you've got what you deserve.
    Second question : did you friend verify your computer configuration before installing Win7 ? He should have warned you you'll loose your access to Ubuntu, at least. Such a mistake drives me to tell you : DON'T LET THIS "FRIEND" PUT HIS HANDS ON YOUR COMPUTER !
    Third, other forumers here gave you the answer how to deal with your problem. In 2 words, boot your live CD, restore Grub.

Just Joined!
    One of the advantages of working for a while with software is that you learn the hard way that your process for making backups must be flawless and automatic, and you have to manually make sure your backups work properly before you make any changes. I've made all of the usual mistakes - 1. wiped out the wrong hard drive, 2. backed up my files to a DVD and then later discovered that the DVD was not created properly and was useless, 3. tried to restore files from a backup only to discover the backup process had silently failed.

I'm sorry if something went wrong for you, nithyabharathi.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDangeax View Post
    Third, other forumers here gave you the answer how to deal with your problem. In 2 words, boot your live CD, restore Grub.
    Restoring GRUB only works if you assume the friend left the Ubuntu and Windows XP partitions intact. It's possible he wiped them out completely.