Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I've a problem with a computer based on a AMD Zacate E350 APU (Asrock E350M1). I've install Kubuntu 13.04 and latest Catalyst 13.06 BETA drivers. I know installing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy HDMI audio not avaiable with AMD E-350

Hi all,

I've a problem with a computer based on a AMD Zacate E350 APU (Asrock E350M1).

I've install Kubuntu 13.04 and latest Catalyst 13.06 BETA drivers. I know installing an AMD Beta driver on Linux seems to be a suicide, when stable drivers have many problems, but the truth is that the combination Kubuntu 13.06 + AMD 13,06 beta works good even with Trinity APUs.

My problem is very simple, when I go to Phonom I can't select HDMI audio output, and I've only analog and SPDIF. It can't be a hardware problem since I've try Openelec and it has HDMI audio with no problems.

I've try to enable SPDIF audio in alsamixer (no idea of relation, but I've read this in a forum), but problem persist.

It seems like HDMI audio is disabled by defaulf, what is weird when I've try just same software combination on a Trinity APU and works ok; but Zacate doesn't.

Any idea or help??

Many thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    I used to have basically the same problem until I came across this terminal command: pactl set-card-profile 0 output:hdmi-stereo
    Then I just saved that as a .sh script, made it executable, and added it to startup. If it doesn't immediately work, research pactl which will guide you in the right direction to configuring audio (Pulse Audio anyway).

In alsamixer pcm is set to 0<>0 by default. In my own 12.04 remix I had to manually raise the volume on it to get sound on HDMI.

I also installed pavucontrol to make it easier to configure my audio subsystems and set the pavucontrol configuration profile to HDMI.

I had to install some experimental repos to get it all to work too because at the time HDMI output was not supported natively in 12.04.

Mine has worked like a charm for a year.

I don't know if they fixed the HDMI support in 13.04 or if you still have to install an experimental repo.

Just Joined!
    Many thanks to both for que replies, but the problem persists.

Quote Originally Posted by linucksrox View Post
    I used to have basically the same problem until I came across this terminal command: pactl set-card-profile 0 output:hdmi-stereo
    Then I just saved that as a .sh script, made it executable, and added it to startup. If it doesn't immediately work, research pactl which will guide you in the right direction to configuring audio (Pulse Audio anyway).
    It returns "Falla, no existe tal entidad" (Fail, entity doesn't exist)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    In alsamixer pcm is set to 0<>0 by default. In my own 12.04 remix I had to manually raise the volume on it to get sound on HDMI.

I also installed pavucontrol to make it easier to configure my audio subsystems and set the pavucontrol configuration profile to HDMI.

I had to install some experimental repos to get it all to work too because at the time HDMI output was not supported natively in 12.04.

Mine has worked like a charm for a year.

I don't know if they fixed the HDMI support in 13.04 or if you still have to install an experimental repo.

I've run alsamixer and SPDIF was on MM, I've change to 00 but problem remains:

h t tp : // i44.tinypic.com/35n7og0.jpg

(I can't attach the link)

After this I've install pavucontrol and open pulseaudio, in configuration I've the same options that I get in phonon (no HDMI at all) and in output devices I've only analog

Any ideas????

Many thanks in advance

*AFAIK* S/PDIF doesn't have anything to with it. *PCM* has to be turned up to get sound on HDMI. If pavucontrol doesn't have an option for an HDMI configuration profile (or if your alsamixer doesn't have PCM - did you hit F5 to see all?) then I'm *guessing* that you are having one of the same problems that I did in 12.04: HDMI sound output is not natively supported in 13.04 either.

*IF* that is the case you'll have to hunt google and see if there is a 13.04 compatible experimental repo to install the function like I had to do with mine on 12.04.

I had to add the audio dev team's PPA to get HDMI functionality in 12.04.

Be advised: I have no idea if this PPA is 13.04/K13.04 compatible. Do your own research to verify that you are not going to blow up your system by installing it!

Not sure if this had anything to do with getting mine working or not, but while I was building my remix I also ran the proposed repo for a while and I still run the backports repo.

Be advised: Even if part of how I got it to work was running the propsed repo whie I built, that repo is not 100% stable. Know what you're getting in to before you just start checking boxes. You have to do your own homework. Don't come back and blame me if you turn your install in to brick.

Just Joined!
    Many Thanks, Steven_G

It would be stupid from me if I blame you for the helping you're giving me, I can't do nothing but thank you.

I have images of the system made with clonezilla, so no problem if system is damaged

I'm very new on linux so I have no experience with this, but I've follow instructions from the link you gave me:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    I've restart but nothing changes, I don't have any reference to hdmi audio in phonom or audio.

Any idea?

Many thanks

EDIT: The weirdest thing is that this problem is supposed to happend with opensource AMD drivers, not official AMD drivers, and I'm using official ones (13.06 beta). Why does it happends??
    Last edited by TassadarLinux; 07-21-2013 at 04:37 PM.

Then I would say install synaptic and aptitude from the official repos and gut everything related to audio using those tools ("purge" / it will remove most of the config files as well).

IMHO, for jobs like this aptitude is better than apt-get. Pull the aptitude man page and play with it. You can use apt-get autoremove and aptitude remove -f to make sure any related junk is gone.

Then, just for good measure, make sure the pulse audio folder and the pulsecookie are deleted in /home/user (don't remember if purge gets them). And then run a search on your file system for anything with "pulse" in it and delete anything you find.

You might want to go ahead and gut the driver too? You might want to gut alsa too just for good measure and just make a fresh start.

Then I'd run
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    just to make sure everything is gone.

Then I'd reboot. This is probably overkill, but you want to be*sure* that you are starting from scratch.

Then I'd rebuild the audio subsystems from scratch using the audio dev PPA, alsa, the official driver, pusleaudio enhancements like pavucontrol / paman / pulseaudio-equalizer-gtk / etc and the proposed repo in software sources. You may also be missing some dependancies as well and aptitude has tools to check and see and fix that. (So does apt-get.)

Then after a complete rebuild make sure that PCM is turned on / up in alsamixer and the HDMI profile is enabled in pavucontrol.

If a complete gutting / rebuild doesn't fix it then I'm out of ideas.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 07-22-2013 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Typos

Just Joined!
    Hi again, Steven_G

First of all I have to apologyze for not to having answer before, but I've been out of time for doing it.

Now, I only can give you my most sincere thanks for all the interest and help you've give me.

I have no try your last tip, bit thanks to the helping of user Geoff in edugeek.net I updated kernel to 3.9.0 and not I can select "HDMI sterereo output". I have no option for 5.1, but I don't know if it's normal or not.

In any case, HDMI output works. I didn't try a newer kernel version since I don't know it thoses will work of with AMD fglrx drivers.

Many thanks again, Steven_G

Tassadar