Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Not had a problem adding it to my search engine list under 12.04 but 13.04 won't allow it. Not even sure what the version of Ubuntu has to do with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't add Startpage to search engines in Firefox under 13.04?

Not had a problem adding it to my search engine list under 12.04 but 13.04 won't allow it. Not even sure what the version of Ubuntu has to do with it but since Firefox is the same version in both it must have something to do with 12.04 vs 13.04. So does anyone know what gives here?

53 views and NO ONE can help me with this problem? What, did I tick everyone off here on the forum or what????
    Also, can't get Jupiter Power Management to take either, it'll download but when I try to install from Terminal it tells me that it can't find the package. Come one people, ya'll are suppose to know about this stuff and help folks out here.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    53 views and NO ONE can help me with this problem? What, did I tick everyone off here on the forum or what????
    sometimes (most times) people just like to read...

i don't have Ubuntu up and running, but even if I did, i'd be using the latest stable Firefox direct from Mozilla. have you tried that, and experienced the same issue?

Also, can't get Jupiter Power Management to take either, it'll download but when I try to install from Terminal it tells me that it can't find the package.
    you should open a new thread for this. include what commands you are using to attempt to install it and the exact errors messages you are getting.

Come one people, ya'll are suppose to know about this stuff and help folks out here.
    careful with that! you're liable to tick everyone off here on the forum...srsly, we're here to help...when we are not raising our kids, doing our day jobs, sweeping our wives off their feet, etc...

Trusted Penguin
    Read what has said about Startpage and Ubuntu Firefox here.

Thanks for the replies and the link. I'll probably just end up going back to 12.04LTS since 13.04 seems to have too many "issues" and doesn't work as well IMHO as 12.04 does.

Trusted Penguin
    understood, it's LTS for a reason...

I have both 12.04 and 13.04, I'll check out loading those tonight when I get home if you want.

I haven't had any issues yet with 13.04, what issues are you having?

I just use DuckDuckGo for search and homepage, works fine in both, Firefox also has a "Tell Sites Not to Track Me" button you can select. StartPage still uses Google, hardly a company I would trust.

Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    I have both 12.04 and 13.04, I'll check out loading those tonight when I get home if you want.

I haven't had any issues yet with 13.04, what issues are you having?

I just use DuckDuckGo for search and homepage, works fine in both, Firefox also has a "Tell Sites Not to Track Me" button you can select. StartPage still uses Google, hardly a company I would trust.
    AHh but they (Startpage) claim they do not record your IP address.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

StartPage

IP Addresses
    The IP address that is associated with your search will NOT be recorded.

The only exception is for “abusive” (automated) queriers that rapidly submit many queries to Startpage in a very short time.

Data Collection
    We don't collect any personal information on our visitors. Nada. Zilch. Zero.

When you use Startpage, we do not record your IP address, we do not record which browser you are using (Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Chrome etc.), we do not record your computer platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.), and we do not record your search words or phrases. In fact, the only information we do record is an aggregate total of how many searches are performed on our website each day (a measure of overall traffic), and those overall traffic numbers broken down by language, and statistics on a purely aggregate level.

This zero data collection policy protects your privacy, since your IP address, browser, and platform information can be combined with other data to uniquely identify your computer, your location, or you. It is also important not to record search terms, since they can convey personal information as well. (Think of someone entering their own name and/or social security number.)
    DuckDuckGo

When you search at DuckDuckGo, we don't know who you are and there is no way to tie your searches together.

When you access DuckDuckGo (or any Web site), your Web browser automatically sends information about your computer, e.g. your User agent and IP address.

Because this information could be used to link you to your searches, we do not log (store) it at all. This is a very unusual practice, but we feel it is an important step to protect your privacy.
    So does DuckDuckGo and it works on Firefox on Ubuntu 13.04.

I was running Firefox 22 on both 12.04 and 13.04 so Firefox wasn't the issue as to why I couldn't get Startpage into my Search Engines. Also, 13.04 WAS the issue as to why I couldn't get Jupiter to run. Now that I've installed 12.04LTS all is well in Ubuntu Land. IMHO 12.04LTS is the only Ubuntu worth a flip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast