Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello people from LinuxForums! I'm new here and hoping you can help me with a problem with my Linux (Ubuntu). I've tried to change files on my Linux server, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Read-only!?

Hello people from LinuxForums!

I'm new here and hoping you can help me with a problem with my Linux (Ubuntu).

I've tried to change files on my Linux server, but got the error 3: Permission denied, request error 3. So my problem is that the directories are read-only.

I've searched half the internet for a solution, but cannot find the solution to my problem. One possibility was that I've started Ubuntu in recovery mode and went as root into the terminal. There, I executed sudo chown -R to change from read-only to read/write, but each directory showed "directory is read-only".

Can someone please help me with this problem. I'm a newbie regarding Linux / Ubuntu, so I hope someone is able to make clear to me what to do.

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards, Joost

Just Joined!
    Hi,

If you want to change the permissions, you should use chmod not chown. chown is for changing owners.
    Do :

chmod -R u+rw directorypath

you can change u+rw with whatever permissions you want to give to the file.

To change the owner, do:

chown -R owner directorypath

You might want to change the owner before changing the permissions.

Linux Guru
    Is this a new installation of the Ubuntu server? Have you been able to access files at all? Which directories are the files in that you want to change? Outside your /home/user directory you will usually need root permissions to make changes. Have you done that? That should resolve the permission denied error. The read-only is a different problem. Have you checked the permissions with: ls -l /?