Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having trouble with 12.04 LTS. OS is on a Dell Dimmension 8200, Pentium 4, 512Mb. Things have been goood for a couple weeks. I downloaded all updates since ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Failed login on 12.04LTS

I am having trouble with 12.04 LTS. OS is on a Dell Dimmension 8200, Pentium 4, 512Mb. Things have been goood for a couple weeks. I downloaded all updates since install all at once. I set up GMail in Thunderbird and visited my bank online. This is the only time this computer has been online since Ubuntu install. Problem is when I boot to the log in screen, I can only log in as a guest. When any other user tries to log on, the screen goes solid black, then mauve, then login screen reappears. My computer will not boot from cd or usb. It never would set to boot from usb. I booted into Grub to get root access and did: passwd user. When I retype the password and hit. ENTER, I get, passwd:Authentication token manipulaion Error, passwd: password unchanged. When I tried to make a directory to unzip bootinfoscript in, I get the message: Can't open /dev/ fd0 , Cannot initialize 'A:' , error when trying to make directory. I also visited the shadow file via root access obtained thru the Grub menu. There is currently no information between the first and second colons after my username. I tried to insert an asterisk between the colons where a password would go and I got: E212 Can't open file for writing. I tried the asterisk because the guest accounts all have one and I can log in as guest. I looked in /etc/mtab, and /dev/fstab. In mtab I remember seeing /dev/sda1 mounted -rw errors=remount-ro 0 0. It also showed mount point for /proc as being /. /etc/fstab had a line that indicated /dev/sda1 was mounted -rw during installation,then more information I cant remember, then 0 1. The 1 is in a column with a headrer above it that says PASS . Sorry the post is rough but I have no internet access, I cant run bootinfoscript, or make directories. Im using a text editor on my phone to ask for help. I may not be able to get back to any responses immediately, as I have been up all night and need to sleep. I really need a hand and would appreciate any help. I also ran fsck from Grub and all was good. I tried the repair option as well but there was nothing to fix. I also selected previous versions in Grub and tried .23 generic. Also, no dice. I'm new to linux and make no claims about knowing anything

Linux Guru
    512MB of RAM is the absolute minimum for Ubuntu 12.4 so you will likely have some problems because of that.
    If I understand, you are able to login as the user you created during the installation but after logging in is when you get the problems with the screen, correct?
    If your computer will not boot from CD or usb, what method did you use to install it?

I booted into Grub to get root access and did: passwd user
    Where and how are you trying to unzip the bootinfoscript? As the guest? Do it in /home/guest directory where it should download. That is if you are booting Ubuntu as guest?
    Has this ever worked properly? Is this a new problem since the installation? You did create one user during the installation, correct? When you login as guest, preface any system type commands with sudo to get root privileges. Maybe you are doing this, I don't know how much you know about Linux.

Linux Engineer
    Sounds like you might have a file system problem. You'll need to boot into rescue media or livecd and run filesystem check.

Just Joined!
    I can not log in as user that was created during install. I installed with a cd. Md5sum matched. After I got root permission from grub, I tried putting bootinfoscript in a directory of its own then using tar command. That was the plan anyway. I am not allowed to make a directory anywhere as root. Keep getting errors pertaining to a file system that is for some reason read only. I ran the fsck option in grub menu. Also ran both of the scans in the recovery menu, they had i86 in them, and are the last 2 items on my recovery menu. Not sure why I cant boot from cd. Tried changing ide cable to disk drives with a brand new one. Im going to try a newer disk drive out of another computer I have laying around. Trying hard to fix it without cd cause I cant boot from it right now. It booted up great on the install .
    Last edited by droidlizard; 08-14-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Just Joined!
    I swapped the cd rom drive out and it booted from disc. I checked memory, and disc from the initial menu then selected try ubuntu. Im booted up and have cli but not sure what to do to fix my issue from disc without reinstalling ubuntu. when i did initial install, it was over WindowsXP on a 60GB hard drive. I did not partition and did basic install. ubuntu is only thing on this hard drive. I need to read up more, but i think i need to type something like sudu mount -o /dev/sda1 /mnt/??? ,but i dont know what, to be able to get to hard drive from where i am.

Linux Guru
    You need to know the partition to mount first so open a terminal by holding down the Ctrl+Alt+t keys simultaneously and when the terminal opens type: sudo fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in the command). This will show your partitions. You could then mount it with: sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sda1 /mnt
    The above mount will only work if the partition you want is actually sda1, change as needed.

Just Joined!
    great, thanks. disk revved up and terminal gave me a new prompt. ill take a new look at my shadow file and see if i can navigate around.

Just Joined!
    despite having mounted the file system as r/w , and reset passwrd, original problem still existed. reinstalled Ubuntu but then system started lagging hard, then freezing. i pulled the hard drive out of the same computer that i robbed the cdrom from to get it to boot from cd,and installed Ubuntu on it with the same cd. It works as expected, it is slow on account of lacking ram,but functions properly . this is how the original install went. we'll see.

With minimum ram, you might try Lubuntu or Xubuntu instead.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    With minimum ram, you might try Lubuntu or Xubuntu instead.
    thanks, i didn't know they were less ram hungry. if i can't get a quick fix on some of this antique ram, i will give them a try. meanwhile i think i will read up on them a bit.