Find the answer to your Linux question:
I made a dedicated server using Bodhi Linux, which is based on Ubuntu (if it's appropriate, move this to Other Distros, but I thought what I was trying to do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Viewing encrypted files through Windows

I made a dedicated server using Bodhi Linux, which is based on Ubuntu (if it's appropriate, move this to Other Distros, but I thought what I was trying to do would apply to Ubuntu as well!)
    But when I completely installed (using Synaptic) several programs, I had no knowledge that "complete removal" means removal of it's dependencies as well. So when I removed a program that relied on E17 (the Bodhi desktop/window manager) it removed my whole window manager, too. So when I restarted my computer, I was presented with an error message basically stating "you have no window manager =P". So, booting into the recovery environment I tried using the command line to browse to my home folder and copy it over to my memory stick, it wouldn't budge. It also hadn't initialized the WLAN, so I couldn't use apt-get to get E17 (yes, I did it right by referring it to the repository, updating the sources and THEN trying to download and install it, all with root priveledges) so I resorted to boot into Windows (which felt TERRIBLE for the first time in 3 months) and download DiskInternals Linux Reader, to try and import the dedicated server files from my desktop (/home/alex/Desktop/server) to my Windows desktop (C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\server) only to remember that I chose for my home user to be encrypted, so I was only presented with a README stating: "

THIS DIRECTORY HAS BEEN UNMOUNTED TO PROTECT YOUR DATA.
    From the graphical desktop (EDIT: which I don't have),
    click on "Access Your Private Data"
    or From the command line, run:
    ecryptfs-mount-private (which I tried and didn't work!)

So, now I find myself with no way to retrieve my server files. I'd worked about a year on it, and I don't want to start again from scratch at ANY costs. Thanks in advance!

Linux User
    But when I completely installed (using Synaptic) several programs, I had no knowledge that "complete removal" means removal of it's dependencies as well. So when I removed a program that relied on E17 (the Bodhi desktop/window manager) it removed my whole window manager, too.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that cannot be correct.

So, booting into the recovery environment I tried using the command line to browse to my home folder and copy it over to my memory stick, it wouldn't budge.
    What does this mean, "wouldn't budge"? The cursor? The memory stick? The home folder? The recovery environment?