Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello fellas does anyone know how to set up the bluray on vlc? I get this error when I try to play my bluray. Blu-Ray error: No valid processing key ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Bluray on vlc

Hello fellas does anyone know how to set up the bluray on vlc? I get this error when I try to play my bluray.

Blu-Ray error:
    No valid processing key found in AACS config file.
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Commercial blu-ray discs are DRM encumbered. IE, they are encrypted. I don't know if you can play them without special tools. There are tools that will extract the video to mkv format that can be played anywhere, and there is the libbluray package that might help. If you are trying to play a DVD on your bluray, then install the libdvdcss and libdvdcss2 packages. Those will handle DVD encryption and region code cruft.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I have tried this instructions but they didn't work.
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:n-muench/vlc
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install vlc libaacs0 libbluray-bdj libbluray1
    mkdir -p ~/.config/aacs/
    cd ~/.config/aacs/ && wget vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/files/KEYDB.cfg

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Installing libdvdcss packages didn't work as I asume they are for DVDs only and not bluray.

Afaik, libbluray and libaacs provide the technical framework to play blurays.
    However, each software player, each hardware player and each bluray have individual keys and there is a quite sophisticated key infrastructure to ensure, that only licensed movies are played on licensed software/hardware.
    There is a java virtual machine in each player to compute that and quite possibly other factors.

As you can guess, the open linux is not a desireable market for the media industry. Both from market margin and audience point of view.
    That said, a master key has been revealed some years ago. With that it should be possible to play blurays, but a) you will not get help in this forum to get this key for obvious reasons and b) it is a bit of a effort to get it to work.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

But dvds work fine! Whats with the blurays then so now linux users can't watch the blurays on their computers?

I found this website and I'll see if it works. apcmag.com/how-to-play-blu-ray-in-linux.htm

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can "thank" Sony and the BluRay consortium for that! Like I said before, the only way I know to view commercial (DRM-encrypted) BR discs in Linux is to extract the movie as an MKV file. Here are some links to such tools:

How to Rip and Convert Blu-ray to MKV with Blu-ray to MKV Converter?
    Xilisoft Blu-ray to MKV Converter - Convert Blu-ray to MKV, Convert M2TS to MKV
    MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD
    VidCoder 1.4.24/1.5.4 Beta - VideoHelp.com Downloads

The resulting MKV file will play in VLC without problems.

This also may be helpful: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BluRay

In any case, this cruft is why I refuse to purchase any BR device or disc. Partly it is because I am boycotting Sony (since their CD root-kit fiasco some years ago, for which they have never apologized for pwning people's computers), and partly because I WILL NOT support any company that incorporates DRM in their products - videos, books, music, or whatever.