Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Hi, I'm a complete newbie to Ubuntu Linux and don't know how anything works.... Could you help me by telling me how to install Skype ? I did download one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install skype on Ubuntu 13.04??

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to Ubuntu Linux and don't know how anything works....

Could you help me by telling me how to install Skype ? I did download one but then deleted it because wasn't sure if it was the correct one and it seemed very complicated to install it... different commands that I found out about on google...

Also how do I install FB, Twitter, and all the other stuff I used when I had Win7. I was told to download stuff from Software Centre, then I didn't need to worry abotu anythign dodgy... but when I looked for Skype I couldn't find it....

pss. how do I get my photos off nexus7 to my laptop?? Sorry it is a lot of different questions, but if anyone can at least start by helping me with skype to begin with and I can go from there...

It all seemed much easier with Win7... but I know it is all familiarity so...

Please help, I would be very greatful...

kp05

Linux Guru
    Have you tried opening the Software Center and just typing 'skype' (without quotes) in the Search box in the upper right? Hit the Enter key and it should come up and you can double click the entry for Skype and if it is not installed, that should show and you just click on the Install tab. If you don't see Skype when you do this, continue reading below.

According to the site below you may need to add a repository since it is proprietary software. Copy and paste and run the separate commands show on the page. You should be prompted for your primary user password.

How to install skype in ubuntu 12.04(Precise)*|*Ubuntu Geek

I'm not sure what you mean by FB (Facebook)? Do you want to use it in Skype? Never use twitter and don't know what nexus7 is. You'll have to wait for someone else to post an answer.

You should always download software from the software center or use the apt-get command from a terminal. If you download something from another site, make sure it is a version written for Linux. If you want to download something with an .exe extension, don't bother as it won't run on Linux, put it on windows.
    kp05 likes this.

Linux Engineer
    Looks like you can download Skype for Ubuntu directly from: Download Skype for Linux, get Skype for Linux

I recommend selecting the 12.04 Mutliarch release, try installing that one first.

Just Joined!
    Once downloaded Skype enters the Downloads folder, right click on: skype-ubuntu-precise_4.2.0.11-1_i386.deb, and select: Open with Package Installer Gdebi. Enter your password, click in Install the package, and wait...some dependencies will be installed first.

I hope this helps.

cmolinap.
    kp05 likes this.

Just Joined!

Red face Thank You!

I'm not sure what you mean by FB (Facebook)? Do you want to use it in Skype? Never use twitter and don't know what nexus7 is. You'll have to wait for someone else to post an answer.

You should always download software from the software center or use the apt-get command from a terminal. If you download something from another site, make sure it is a version written for Linux. If you want to download something with an .exe extension, don't bother as it won't run on Linux, put it on windows.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!! That worked.
    Please disregard the FB etc etc, I was VERY confused, it happens .
    I was wondering about flashplayer as well, I have these commands from adobe (I wasn't allowed to put the link here) and was thinking of trying them out... but I have to choose a version to download... but I don't know which one to choose... how do you know which one it is that works for you???? To me it looks like every time I'm looking to install something there is even more to choose from and it isn't the one that I saw last time... so is there a way for me to know which one is the right version from my Linux???

ps. I never installed any updates when I installed Linux since I had problems and had to redo the install, I was adviced to do it without the updates, now I would like to update Linux but have NO CLUE on how to do that either, I'm a complete baby when it comes to this... My linux doesn't look anything like the one that I got 'attached' to when I saw it on my friends notebook.... mine is more like 500y old... and very unattractive.. if you know what I should do about this I would be very happy.

MANY THANKS!!
    kp05

Just Joined!

Red face Thank You!

Thank you!! That worked.
    Please disregard the FB etc etc, I was VERY confused, it happens .
    I was wondering about flashplayer as well, I have these commands from adobe (I wasn't allowed to put the link here) and was thinking of trying them out... but I have to choose a version to download... but I don't know which one to choose... how do you know which one it is that works for you???? To me it looks like every time I'm looking to install something there is even more to choose from and it isn't the one that I saw last time... so is there a way for me to know which one is the right version from my Linux???

ps. I never installed any updates when I installed Linux since I had problems and had to redo the install, I was adviced to do it without the updates, now I would like to update Linux but have NO CLUE on how to do that either, I'm a complete baby when it comes to this... My linux doesn't look anything like the one that I got 'attached' to when I saw it on my friends notebook.... mine is more like 500y old... and very unattractive.. if you know what I should do about this I would be very happy.

MANY THANKS!!
    kp05

Linux Engineer
    If you want to run flash on Linux, I recommend installing Google Chrome. You can download it directly from google.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I have installed Chromium I think that is the same as Chrome? It still tells me I have to instal flash but when I try it gives me a link where I need to download a specific version... but how do I know which one is the correct one?

Many thanks
    kp05

Linux Guru
    If you see an option with a .deb extension, that would be it.
    kp05 likes this.

kp05 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast