Find the answer to your Linux question:
evening Linux world! Well I officially HATE windows 8. go figure.... I have a new dell inspiron, 64bit OS. I have what I believe is the right live boot usb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

trying to install unbuntu ultimate edition along side windows 8

evening Linux world!

Well I officially HATE windows 8. go figure....

I have a new dell inspiron, 64bit OS.

I have what I believe is the right live boot usb stick. I figured out how to change my boot process is the bios from uefi to legacy, and set the usb stick to be 1st in the boot order.

When I save changes and attempt to boot, I get a screen that says DEFAULT UNETBOOTIN with the option to hit tab to change the boot? along with a 10 second count down ......which when it expires tries the same thing over and over.

Whan I attempt to use the TAB to change those settings, I get some reference to what looks to my untrained eyes as a unbuntu kernal boot.....so I simply hit enter....and it just goes back to this UNETBOOTIN process....

It appears that my boot attempts are not trying to read from the usb stick??

wondering if someone might assist to get me headed in the right direction....I used the linux universal usb installer to create my usb boot stick....

thanks for your help and pointers to get me AWAY FROM HAVING TO USE THIS JUNK WINDOWS 8 OS

Linux Guru
    Many systems which come with windows 8 preinstalled have Secure Boot. Have you checked to see if you have it? You need to disable it. You mention unetbootin which is software designed to create a bootable (and usually installable Linux Live environment) flash drive. Did you download unetbootin to windows? Did you select Ubuntu from the list of distributions on the unetbootin window? Did you let the creation process complete?

The two most likely scenarios are that the flash drive wasn't created properly or you have secure boot enabled.

Just Joined!
    thanks for your reply....
    correct me if I am wrong. In order to change from uefi to legacy boot, I needed to disable secure boot? which I thought I did but will double check.

Interesting.....searching for unetbootin on my laptop shows I have in fact downloaded it....however it does not show up on my usb jump drive.

I'm wondering if the jump drive is set up properly to be a live boot disk? and....regarding 32 vs 64 bit......is it critical to the boot process....the current windows 8 install is 64bit.....does that require or does it matter if I install the 32 or 64 bit ubuntu os?

thanks/g

I guess while I am asking, does Ultimate Edition require a Ubuntu install 1st? or does it contain everything needed, ie the UE and Ubuntu platform or OS....

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Many systems which come with windows 8 preinstalled have Secure Boot. Have you checked to see if you have it? You need to disable it. You mention unetbootin which is software designed to create a bootable (and usually installable Linux Live environment) flash drive. Did you download unetbootin to windows? Did you select Ubuntu from the list of distributions on the unetbootin window? Did you let the creation process complete?

The two most likely scenarios are that the flash drive wasn't created properly or you have secure boot enabled.

Linux Guru
    In order to change from uefi to legacy boot, I needed to disable secure boot?
    Seems logical. I don't have any computers with 'secure boot' so I am basing my suggestion on what I have read from others more familiar. Doesn't sound like that is the problem then.

Interesting.....searching for unetbootin on my laptop shows I have in fact downloaded it
    So you downloaded the unetbootin to your laptop, correct. You then plugged the flash drive in an booted the computer, correct? Are you using the windows 8 system to run unetbootin? Did you have the iso downloaded to the laptop before opening unetbootin? or did you download it as part of the process of running unetbootin? Unetbootin will not show up on your jump drive but if you mounted it, you should be able to see the various files.

If you have a 64bit system you can run either 32bit or 64bit systems but, if you had a 32bit system you would not be able to run 64 bit. Doubt that is the problem.
    Unetbootin is pretty simple to use although there is not guarantee. Did you check their page (link below)

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Ultimate Edition doesn't require an Ubuntu install because it is a modification of Ubuntu, see their page below.

http://ultimateedition.info/

If the unetbootin flash was created properly, you may have different options in the BIOS you can set. On some computers, you can set it to boot from usb in different locations, removable drives or hard drive and one will work and the other won't. That's true on my HP. Some details on how you created the flash might help, compare what happened in your case to what is explained on their site.

Just Joined!
    Update**
    I know I am not answering your questions directly so bare with me as I have made progress, well....progress then bang!

So I recreated the usb drive from scratch using a clean 4gb jump drive. I fear however that it is not quite enough space....as the ultimate edition iso file needed like 3.6 logically you would think this is enough space? but something seems to have gone astray. While I did get the laptop to boot into the UE install, I have a message saying "ubi-partman crashed" retry or ignore....so I am rebooting so I can enter my trail here....bare with me please...

-rebooting;
    -running the UE installer;
    -install ue permanently to your hard drive
    -"UBI-LANGUAGE CRASHED"
    This is the 1st problem encountered now that I can boot the usb jump drive.
    If I continue on, I get the next crash listed above, which is ubi-partman

So I suspect there is something wrong with my newly created usb jump drive?
    Might try another usb jump drive creation?? thoughts?
    thanks/g

Just Joined!
    ok
    tried a fresh build of my usb jump drive, getting the same "ubi-language crashed" error right from thr git go.

I'm going to consider trying a straight Ubuntu desk top env. install as apposed to the UE.....and see what happens with that....

pointers/suggestions/observations welcome......I'm a greenback when it comes to Linux, though I have had success in the past with installing UE along side windows xp on another laptop.....

your input is welcome!!!!
    thanks/g

Quote Originally Posted by gchalifoux View Post
    Update**
    I know I am not answering your questions directly so bare with me as I have made progress, well....progress then bang!

So I recreated the usb drive from scratch using a clean 4gb jump drive. I fear however that it is not quite enough space....as the ultimate edition iso file needed like 3.6 logically you would think this is enough space? but something seems to have gone astray. While I did get the laptop to boot into the UE install, I have a message saying "ubi-partman crashed" retry or ignore....so I am rebooting so I can enter my trail here....bare with me please...

-rebooting;
    -running the UE installer;
    -install ue permanently to your hard drive
    -"UBI-LANGUAGE CRASHED"
    This is the 1st problem encountered now that I can boot the usb jump drive.
    If I continue on, I get the next crash listed above, which is ubi-partman

So I suspect there is something wrong with my newly created usb jump drive?
    Might try another usb jump drive creation?? thoughts?
    thanks/g

Just Joined!
    Update!!!!

So as of this moment, I have abandoned the UE install attempts, and gone for the straight up OHHH....WAIT A SEC!!!!!!

yes, another problem...

While attempting to install Ubunto from live dvd, the install type screen says "This computer currently has NO detected operating systems. What would you like to do"...

this is scarey, because there IS in fact Windows 8 installed.....and I need to make sure I am keeping that intact by installing ubuntu along side Windows 8....

man I know I'm a green back.....but Windows 8 and this uefi secure boot crap is hosing me over on every corner....

Linux Guru
    If you were successfully able to boot from the flash drive (with Ultimate Edition) were you trying to install it to your hard drive? and if so, to which partition? If you had windows 8 as an OEM install (on there when you bought it) then you had probably used three partitions. Did you create a separate partition on which to install UE? I'm not familiar with the two errors you reported and have never used UE, so...?

Boot the Ubuntu DVD and open a terminal to get some info. Run these commands separately: sudo fdisk -l(Lower Case Lettser L in the command)
    and df -h or sudo df -h and post the output.