Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello fellas I'm running ubuntu 13.04 and I quite enjoy my linux experience but I recently stumble up on linux mint 15 and it is looks very attractive with its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hello fellas

Hello fellas I'm running ubuntu 13.04 and I quite enjoy my linux experience but I recently stumble up on linux mint 15 and it is looks very attractive with its desktop environment. Can anyone tell me more about mint with comparison to ubuntu does mint cash a lot? Is it worth it to installing it along side ubuntu and is it worth getting it at all if I have ubuntu? Thanks

Mint is similar enough to Ubuntu that you will have no problems adjusting to it.
    That said, it has a few minor differences that many users prefer. Namely... no Unity.
    It also comes loaded with a few extra things, like multimedia codecs.
    I'd say that it's worth either a dual-boot setup, or a VM installation at the very least.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Hey Jayd what is wrong with ubuntu unity it seems like nice thing that they have added it is unlike windows etc and it is not that complicated to use. Can you elaborate bit more on unity please.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_physica View Post
    Hey Jayd what is wrong with ubuntu unity it seems like nice thing that they have added it is unlike windows etc and it is not that complicated to use. Can you elaborate bit more on unity please.
    Newest 'unity' Questions - Ask Ubuntu

That should elaborate (50 pages)
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I see, thanks for that.

I wasn't trying to imply that anything was wrong with Unity. Sorry if I gave that impression.
    It's just that a lot of long time Linux users (myself included) just aren't comfortable with it, mainly for personal preference reasons.
    That said, if you like Unity, then don't let me stop you from using it!

But have you tried other DEs? Like KDE, MATE, or Xfce? Or even the lighter WMs like Openbox or IceWM?
    That's all that I meant by it.
    Last edited by jayd512; 09-02-2013 at 07:50 PM.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

No worries mate! I'm trying to install mint on my laptop I ilke to see the dffrence between the mint and ubuntu.