Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there, My friend has an Acer Aspire of some sort. We installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it. What differed this install for previous installs I have done is that there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Ubuntu alongside Ubuntu 12.04, no option to boot to Ubuntu

Hello there,

My friend has an Acer Aspire of some sort. We installed Ubuntu 12.04 on it.

What differed this install for previous installs I have done is that there was no option to install ubuntu alongside the Win 8. The installer only gave the option to install ubuntu on a clean disk, or manual partitioning. We selected the latter.

I installed ubuntu on an empty partition on the disk.

When we came reboot, the normal purple multiboot prompt did not appear, and we have no way of selecting to boot to ubuntu.

How is this multiboot app installed or activated, so that we can select to boot to ubuntu?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
    Marius

Linux Guru
    Did this computer come with windows 8 pre-installed? Windows 8 OEM computers usually come with Secure Boot which needs to be disabled in the BIOS. There may also be an option to enable Legacy Boot. If you do an online search for dual-booting Ubuntu and windows 8, you should get a lot of hits.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Did this computer come with windows 8 pre-installed? Windows 8 OEM computers usually come with Secure Boot which needs to be disabled in the BIOS. There may also be an option to enable Legacy Boot. If you do an online search for dual-booting Ubuntu and windows 8, you should get a lot of hits.
    That is right.

We disabled secure boot before doing the install. We reenabled secure boot after installing ubuntu, and there is no multiboot option at start up.

Kind regards,
    Marius

Linux Guru
    You might check the BIOS to see if you have an option to enable Legacy boot. I don't have any computers with secure boot but you may have to enable/disable on boot. Seems like a pretty bizarre way for microsoft to try to secure their system. You might also try the ubuntu forums or google this problem. Lots of hits like the one below. It will likely make a difference also whether you are using 64-bit and UEFI;

Ubuntu 13.04 Dual boot UEFI Windows 8 Preinstalled ACER - Ask Ubuntu