Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK this may seem a sill question but will lead on to another more detailed one. When you click on the launcher for some application like Firefox a little circle ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oxf
    Linux Newbie

Silly Question

OK this may seem a sill question but will lead on to another more detailed one.

When you click on the launcher for some application like Firefox a little circle thingy whirls around while Firefox launches. What do you call that ?

Thanks

That sounds like your mouse pointer. It changes to the 'busy' one when an application loads. I don't believe Linux is unique in this behaviour - some operating systems and desktop environments show you an hourglass.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    That sounds like your mouse pointer. It changes to the 'busy' one when an application loads. I don't believe Linux is unique in this behaviour - some operating systems and desktop environments show you an hourglass.
    Well it's not the mouse pointer arrow per see, but yes the pointer changes to a whirling circle while its loads much like the hour glass I remeber fion is thisrom windows days.

Anyway my question is this:
    I'm using Lubuntu 13.04 on my mini laptop. Its slickity fast and I like it. However, when I launch an application like Firefox there is now rotating pointer to indicate it's loading. Does anyone kow how to add one to Lubuntu?

It would be usefull to know it's loading as theres a tendence to assume the click didn't work and launch again etc.

M

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Any ideas on how to add this? To reiterate I don't want anything major, just a rotating circle/hourglass pretty much anything just to indicate that software is loading.

Otherwise theres a tendancy to think you havent clicked hard enough and click again etc.

Thanks
    Katelyn

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    LXDE doesn't seem to support it natively but there is this method. I'm not sure how many dependencies it would want or what the performance implications would be.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

oxf
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    LXDE doesn't seem to support it natively but there is this method. I'm not sure how many dependencies it would want or what the performance implications would be.
    Thanks!
    I'll check that out..