Find the answer to your Linux question:
Running Ubuntu 12.04 here. Initially telling the computer to shutdown or restart via GUI would make it get stuck on the screen with Ubuntu and the dots. The fan was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

After installing prop. video drivers, shutdown works, reboot doesn't

Running Ubuntu 12.04 here.

Initially telling the computer to shutdown or restart via GUI would make it get stuck on the screen with Ubuntu and the dots. The fan was running, screen still on but nothing really happening. I would just hold the power button until it turned off, to actually shut it down. Tried adding the "acpi=force" to grub but that didn't really do anything.

I read some tips that the problem could be with the video drivers, so I installed the proprietary drivers for my card (Radeon 7770 HD) and voilą, shutdown works perfectly now. Restarting, however, still doesn't: now there's no Ubuntu screen, but the machine is still turned on, and it stays like that indefinitely. I took off the "quiet" and "splash" from grub to check if it was hanging somewhere, but it's not. The video signal shuts off very fast, but it's still powered on, doing nothing.

Typing "sudo reboot" has the same effect.

Saw somewhere that I could add "reboot=efi" to grub, tried that and it didn't work as well.

My machine is a 4-year old Dell XPS 430, not sure if this information is relevant or not, but there you go.

I appreciate the help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, shutdown and then cold reboot? Not the answer you want, I'm sure, but for now that may be the best you can do. Have you tried other distributions to see if they have similar issues? FWIW, my laptop is a 6-7 year old Dell D630 running Scientific Linux 6 (a RHEL 6 clone), and it doesn't have this problem. I can sleep, hibernate, reboot, etc without issue, though my on-board video card is nVidia. I used to run Ubuntu (up to 9.04) and also had no problems with it, using either the nouveau or the nVidia proprietary video drivers.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    So, shutdown and then cold reboot? Not the answer you want, I'm sure, but for now that may be the best you can do. Have you tried other distributions to see if they have similar issues? FWIW, my laptop is a 6-7 year old Dell D630 running Scientific Linux 6 (a RHEL 6 clone), and it doesn't have this problem. I can sleep, hibernate, reboot, etc without issue, though my on-board video card is nVidia. I used to run Ubuntu (up to 9.04) and also had no problems with it, using either the nouveau or the nVidia proprietary video drivers.
    Yeah that's not really what I'm looking for... but it seems like it's the only thing I can try at this point since no one seems to experience this. Thanks for the input anyway.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I tried Linux Mint yesterday and the problem doesn't happen. Guess I'm changing distros. Thanks Rubberman for the tip.