Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello All, I've had this strange issue pop-up and was wondering if someone could help me figure out what's going on. I dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. When I got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Only one ear works on earphones

Hello All,

I've had this strange issue pop-up and was wondering if someone could help me figure out what's going on.

I dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. When I got the machine about a year ago, the earphones worked fine on both Ubuntu and Windows. About a month later the earphones only worked sporadically on Windows. However, on Ubuntu they worked without a problem, for probably 8 months.

But, over the last two months, Ubuntu will only play out of one ear. Every once in a while I get Windows to work with the earphones, and when it does, it plays both ears.

I understand command lines etc, but don't really know how to diagnose this problem--is it a sound card malfunction, is it a software malfunction? I'm not sure how to determine this.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Dodgy connection in the earphones?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Good thought--my first one. But it does it with any earphone used, which makes me think it is either software or hardware. Thanks though!

The strange thing is that, when it works in Windows, both ears work, but when in Ubuntu it always works, but only one ear. I'm starting to guess that maybe it is a hardware problem, but I've no idea how to diagnose this.

Just Joined!
    I just noticed that the "Balance" for the headphone settings gets shifted towards the right ear whenever the earphones are plugged in. That's really wierd,but it seems that if I just manually move it back to center the left ear turns on as well. I guess this can be marked as solved, but it's still not clear why the balance moves when the earphones are plugged in. For example, if I restart the computer and plug in my headphones, the balance gets shifted again.

Anyway, main problem solved. Thanks for anyone who gave any thought!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I did wonder if a channel was muted or something similar but thought it couldn't be that simple! It may be worth having a look at alsamixer to see if the settings there need adjusting. To run it open a terminal and simply enter alsamixer* and once it is running you navigate with the left and right cursor keys and adjust the settings with the up and down keys. Depending on your sound card, not all the controls may be on one screen.

* no really
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

You might also consider filing a bug report with Ubuntu

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.