Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there After getting a lot of help on my first issue, I'm back with another. I have set up a file sharing program (Extplorer) and it is now working ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mapping using Samba - Help needed.

Hello there

After getting a lot of help on my first issue, I'm back with another.

I have set up a file sharing program (Extplorer) and it is now working with users added.

I now need to map the program on my linux serve to the files which are situated on a windows server.

I have read as much as I can and found I need to use Samba.

I have installed this and found the relevant .conf file in which most posts say I must edit.

However I cannot find the lines I must edit? Is this just a general file that must be edited fully?

I am just after examples or a step by step guide, as I really am not familiar with Linus at all, and am trying to learn as I go along.

Any help appreciated.

Linux Enthusiast
    Are you attempting to access files residing on a windows share from a linux system (the whay I read your text), or are you attempting to serve files from a Linux machine to a windows machine?

To mount a windows share on Linux, you do NOT need SAMBA (it is a server) you need "cifs-utils" usually within the package group "net-fs" which allowing the mounting of a windows share (via the mount command).

Just Joined!
    I am trying to access files on a windows server via a linux program file manager. I basically need to make the linux server see the files on the windows server.

Many thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    then all you need is "cifs-utils" and you can mount (as user root or via sudo) the windows share (providing proper authorization best done by a credentials file).