Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it just me, or are other people seeing stability issues with Ubuntu 13.10? I did a fresh install, twice, and am routinely experiencing crashes with Software Center, the file ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Problems with 13.10?

Is it just me, or are other people seeing stability issues with Ubuntu 13.10? I did a fresh install, twice, and am routinely experiencing crashes with Software Center, the file browser, Simple Scan, and other applications. (I'm using the 64 bit version) Why would such a minor upgrade prompt all this?

Linux Engineer
    Ubuntu is a very buggy distro. There is almost always this type of thing happening when a new release comes out with Ubuntu. Come back in 3-4 weeks and try again. They'll probably have ironed out most of the bugs.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Xubuntu is the distro I always end up coming back to after I have tried many others. It's close enough to the bleeding edge without being right on it which is perfect for me and despite my worries and gripes over how I perceive Canonical behaving towards it's community and the FOSS community in general, I have to admit that it's a damn fine disto!

I am running Xubuntu 13.10 here (since beta 2 on my main laptop) with no problems but the desktop computer was, as usual, rendered entirely unbootable by the upgrade process which was from a fully patched 13.04 to 13.10 but I was ready for it this time so had an install DVD ready! It detected 13.10 and offered to reinstall it along with all my software. That seems to have worked fine. So far, there have been no crashes although I haven't been stressing it particularly heavily and I don't use Software centre so can't comment on that.

Maybe the stability issues are more to do with Unity which I believe uses Compiz for it's compositing and I have found Compiz on Ubuntu based distros to be very unstable since at least the 12.04 release. It will get better over the next few weeks as mizzle has already said.

I like that the 3.11 kernel is called Linux for Workgroups.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Xubuntu is the distro I always end up coming back to after I have tried many others. It's close enough to the bleeding edge without being right on it which is perfect for me and despite my worries and gripes over how I perceive Canonical behaving towards it's community and the FOSS community in general, I have to admit that it's a damn fine disto!

I am running Xubuntu 13.10 here (since beta 2 on my main laptop) with no problems but the desktop computer was, as usual, rendered entirely unbootable by the upgrade process which was from a fully patched 13.04 to 13.10 but I was ready for it this time so had an install DVD ready! It detected 13.10 and offered to reinstall it along with all my software. That seems to have worked fine. So far, there have been no crashes although I haven't been stressing it particularly heavily and I don't use Software centre so can't comment on that.

Maybe the stability issues are more to do with Unity which I believe uses Compiz for it's compositing and I have found Compiz on Ubuntu based distros to be very unstable since at least the 12.04 release. It will get better over the next few weeks as mizzle has already said.

I like that the 3.11 kernel is called Linux for Workgroups.
    You know what's weird? I've used several flavors of Ubuntu, but what seems the most stable for me, wait for it...is Manjaro. Being Arch-based it needs the occasional tweak, but I've always been able to sort out any issues. (and I scarcely know what I'm doing!) It's been the distro that I've always fallen back to when my tests of others have gone haywire, and that's what I'm running again now. Feels like home.

I'm also running Xbuntu 13.10 I did an upgrade as soon as it was released and only issue I'm doing some WP for a friend and the update hosed some settings.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    Ubuntu is a very buggy distro. There is almost always this type of thing happening when a new release comes out with Ubuntu. Come back in 3-4 weeks and try again. They'll probably have ironed out most of the bugs.
    Honestly speaking, I don't think 3-4 weeks suffice. Probably even 3-4 years won't be enough. Ubuntu is created by amateur programmers who are mostly incompetent (no insult, I'm also an incompetent programmer , but sometimes incompetent programming does give the fastest code). I think they don't use the OS made by themselves that is why some bugs you never expect them to discover. In general, you should not hold too high expectations for them. So far the most stable version 12.04 LTS can only guarentee that ordinary use does not cause the system to crash, even though activating the swap partition (when running out of physical memory) still causes the system to hang. And very simple basic functions like changing desktop hot-key shortcuts does not work free of bug, i.e. changing some short-cut keys has no effect, some custom keyboard shortcut will revert back to default after a reboot, and this bug has been reported more than 2 years ago.

So if you want bug-free, go Windows, MacOS. If you are ok with some small non-fatal bugs, Ubuntu LTS versions might be suitable to you.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by xuancong View Post
    So if you want bug-free, go Windows, MacOS.
    You're funny
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I just installed 13.04 it's a little bloated but the fact that
    My phone is usable with it and all my keys on the keyboard do something not the case with. My laptop in 12.04 I can't wait to see what's next over the update saying all that I'm not a power user in fact I have only tried kubuntu and opensuse besides Ubuntu I'm new to this
    I switched to Ubuntu for my only OS when I bought a laptop non touch screen with Windows 8 I found it unusable for my needs and Ubuntu 13.04 seems to work for me

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Linux Guru
    I've had Ubuntu on my computer since 9.04 although I don't use it often, just have it to see what's happening with it and there are so many Ubuntu users and I know people who use it. Part of the problem is their schedule, new releases every 6 months whether they are ready or not. I think people would avoid a lot of the problems if they used the LTS versions. I can't see any reason to try a non-LTS unless you like experimenting or something on the LTS does not work for you and you think (hope) the new release will help.

I've never used Arch so can't comment on it or Manjaro (never used it either) but distributions like that as well as Debian and Slackware are much more stable.