Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, does anyone have a HP server with a Smart Array P420/1G RAID controller and can tell me if it works with Ubuntu 12.04 "out of the box"? The "B"-series ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is the HP Smart Array P420/1G working on Ubuntu 12.04?

Hello,

does anyone have a HP server with a Smart Array P420/1G RAID controller and can tell me if it works with Ubuntu 12.04 "out of the box"?

The "B"-series host-/"fake"-RAID-controllers won't work at the moment, there are only drivers (hpvsa) for RHEL and SLES, the Ubuntu-driver is still in closed beta.

HP's "Ubuntu exceptions"-Page [I would like to insert a link here, but the forum software won't let me...] says for the DL360e Gen8, for which the P420 is an option:

The HP Dynamic Smart Array B110i/B120i/B320i controller driver for Ubuntu 12.04 is not available. The Ubuntu 12.04 certification was completed in SATA mode.
    The optional "P"-series P420 isn't mentioned as incompatible. Furthermore the DL360p Gen8, which has an P420-controller by default, does not list any compatibility issues.

What confuses me is that I found a post in a german forum in which someone with a DL360p Gen8 says, Ubuntu would recognize his RAID-array as four independent disks and not as an array, which would indicate that the P420 is also a "fake-RAID" controller.

Thanks in advance.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Contact HP tech support about this. They may well have a proprietary driver you can use.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!