Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yancek
I'm having a problem getting windows to boot I'm running 2 separate hard drives my main os is windows and my secondary is ubuntu when I take out the hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help with ubuntu and windows

I'm having a problem getting windows to boot I'm running 2 separate hard drives my main os is windows and my secondary is ubuntu when I take out the hard drive for ubuntu windows works just fine I have tried easybcd didn't help fix the windows not wanting to boot any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my liquidsmooth S3

Linux Guru
    To clarify, do you have windows on one hard drive and Ubuntu on another hard drive?
    If you remove the Ubuntu hard drive, you are able to boot your windows, correct?
    If you have both drives attached an boot, what happens? Does it boot Ubuntu? Do you not have an options to boot windows in the menu? Which windows are you using? Did you install Ubuntu after windows? Were both drives attached during this installation? You're a little short on details.

Yes I have windows 7 on one hard drive and ubuntu on another yes when I remove the hard drive with ubuntu on it I can boot windows ubuntu boots perfectly I installed windows first ubuntu second no both drives were not I'm using a hard drive caddy that replaces my CD drive I used my CD drive to install windows 7 then I took out the CD drive and Installed ubuntu on the second hard drive

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    So if you can boot Ubuntu or windows, what's the problem? Obviously, there will be no grub entry in Ubuntu for windows if the windows drive wasn't attached when you installed Ubuntu. What exactly do you want to do?

The problem is when I put the hard drive with Ubuntu back in my computer windows doesn't boot would like to be able to keep both hard drives installed and have both operating systems boot

Linux Guru
    The problem is when I put the hard drive with Ubuntu back in my computer windows doesn't boot
    I explained that above. It is because you did not have the windows drive attached when you installed Ubuntu. Grub searches through the computer on all drives looking for bootable partitions/systems. If you had your windows drive in the closet or sitting on a shelf on your computer desk, Grub won't be able to find it there. It needs to be plugged in/attached to the computer.

Boot Ubuntu and open a terminal, run the following command: sudo os-prober. It should probe your drives for bootable systems. If you get a message that it is not installed then run: sudo apt-get install os-prober. You should be prompted for your user password whenever you run a command with sudo, not sure how familiar you are with that. If you get results from the os-prober command then run: sudo update-grub. Reboot Ubuntu and you should have an entry for windows so just set the Ubuntu drive to boot first and you should be able to boot. The only problem you might have is windows not booting properly when it is not on the first boot drive but deal with that if it happens.

If you have problems, make a note of any output/messages so you can post them.
    Reaper351c likes this.

OK will do thanks for helping me

I installed ubuntu after windows 7 didn't see you ask that question earlier hopefully no more issues after I do what you said when I get home from work