Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone I am having trouble connecting to my nas4free server with my ubuntu laptop. It is running 12.04. So far I have made the /media/nas4free directory on the laptop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Trying to connect to nas4free

Hi everyone

I am having trouble connecting to my nas4free server with my ubuntu laptop. It is running 12.04. So far I have made the /media/nas4free directory on the laptop itself but when I try to do this step I get an error:

any help is appreciated, I may be doing this wrong as I have never done this before
    Code:
    user@ChrUbuntu:~$ sudo mount -t cifs -o username=jreidsma //192.168.1.10/public /media/nas4free
    Password:
    mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
    mount error(19): No such device
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
    I was wanting it so I could edit the servers hard drive or files on this laptop like I can on my windows desktop. I just don't have any experience with servers like this or setting them up with other computers.

Trusted Penguin
    is the kernel module for samba loaded? e.g.:

Code:
    sudo modprobe cifs
    if still no joy:

Code:
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install cifs-utils
    another test: can you see the share using smbclient?

Code:
    smbclient -U jreidsma -L 192.168.1.10

Even after running the reinstall script I still get
    Code:
    FATAL: Module cifs not found
    Running the smb code I can see the IPC service, public storage folder, workgroup, and all that good stuff of the server.

On another forum I was told to try CTRL-L and type in smb://192.168.1.10/public to try it another way without the terminal. I get a popup saying:
    "Could not display "smb://192.168.1.10/public/".
    error: failed to mount windows share
    please select another viewer and try again.

In the file manager I can go to smb://192.168.1.10 and it opens fine, but the minute I try to open the public folder it gives me issues and says I don't have permission or that it failed to mount.
    Last edited by jreidsma; 11-27-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Trusted Penguin
    it sounds like a share by the name of "public" does not exist on the samba/windows box.

can you show the exact output of this command?

Code:
    smbclient -U jreidsma -L 192.168.1.10
    you can only mount a share using the exact share name.

I did not change a thing on the server but now not even my windows machine can get onto the drive. It gives me "is not accessible access denied" on the windows computer. It was working and that was how I was uploading stuff onto the server but now apparently my account does not have permission to do anything...

Code:
    Domain=[WORKGROUP]OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.18]

Sharename       Type           Comment
    ------------       ------          ------------
    public             Disk            public storage
    IPC$               IPC             IPC Service (NAS4Free Server)
    Domain=[WORKGROUP]OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.18]

Server            Comment
    -------             -----------
    MARK-PC
    NAS4FREE        NAS4Free Server

Workgroup      Master
    ------------      -------
    WORKGROUP   NAS4FREE

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by jreidsma View Post
    I did not change a thing on the server but now not even my windows machine can get onto the drive. It gives me "is not accessible access denied" on the windows computer. It was working and that was how I was uploading stuff onto the server but now apparently my account does not have permission to do anything...
    have you made any changes to your NAS box? has it been rebooted recently? is there any way to view logs on the NAS? Have you tried resetting your user's password on the NAS?

can you mount the share, but not write to it, or can you not even mount it?

I did not change a thing with the computer, it never rebooted that I know of (I leave it on all the time).

I tried changing the user and even making a new user with the same settings but it never worked.

I can't even mount the drive.

I uploaded all the files that I had on it to my websites server. I may just give up on the nas4freee server for now. I have plenty flash drives an the website server.

Trusted Penguin
    I tried changing the user and even making a new user with the same settings but it never worked.

I can't even mount the drive.

I uploaded all the files that I had on it to my websites server. I may just give up on the nas4freee server for now. I have plenty flash drives an the website server.
    i assume you set up CIFS/Samba on your NAS4Free box using the GUI, like this one?

Did you try changing the Protocol there?

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    i assume you set up CIFS/Samba on your NAS4Free box using the GUI, like this one?

Did you try changing the Protocol there?
    Yep, it was mostly set up using the online GUI. My friend at school did change some things through the terminal but I am pretty sure that was only permissions.

I didn't change the max protocol, didn't think to do that.

Trusted Penguin
    Yep, it was mostly set up using the online GUI. My friend at school did change some things through the terminal but I am pretty sure that was only permissions.
    as in the permissions of a directory which you are sharing via Samba? that might have something to do with it! can you should the output of these commands on the share:

Code:
    ls -ld /path/to/share/
    Code:
    getfacl /path/to/share/

I didn't change the max protocol, didn't think to do that.
    well, don't bother, if you're sure it is what is was before.