Find the answer to your Linux question:
How hard would it be to put a interface over Ubuntu? As in a stripped down version of Ubuntu. Like components of the OS that the console wouldn't use. For ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Interface over Ubuntu for a Video Game Console?

How hard would it be to put a interface over Ubuntu? As in a stripped down version of Ubuntu. Like components of the OS that the console wouldn't use. For example, the text editor, calculator, etc. that normally comes built in would be removed to make the OS take less space and become more streamlined. What kind of programming would be needed to make a interface to put over Ubuntu? c++, Java, c#?

Hello and Welcome!
    How stripped down are you looking for? There is a minimal installation method that includes only those packages needed for installation. Everything else is installed afterward. See here for more info.
    Other than that, you should be able to remove most unwanted packages via the package manager (Synaptic, apt-get or aptitude). But removing things like basic text editors or calculators will only recover a MB or so of space.

Another option would be to look instead at Debian and its derivatives. Ubuntu does come with a bit of extra bloat, whereas distros like Mepis or Antix would have less of this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Stripped down as I can get it, the console is just for gaming. Anything else wouldn't matter, it would just take up space. The software would be dedicated I believe. I really want this project to be Linux based, because it's so open. My friend was telling me a little about Debian. What about adding a interface over Debian? Would it be expensive, and time consuming to make a custom interface for this project?

You can perform a minimal install for Debian, as well. Only the core operating system is installed. Cant' really get much more stripped than that.
    From there, it's up to you to choose what to add.
    What about adding a interface over Debian? Would it be expensive, and time consuming to make a custom interface for this project?
    Expensive? That would depend on finding a developer to hire for your project, and working out a pay scale.*
    Time consuming? Depends on the interface you want in relation to the skills of the developer.

Or you can use an existing GUI and customize it to your liking. For example, Xfce or Enlightenment. The available online documentation should get you going in the right direction for that.

*If looking to hire a developer, I'm sure that there are websites dedicated to helping you do so.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Ah I see, i'll have to get to work on that. If I need anymore info I will message you, or reply to this thread. Thanks a lot for the information! I appreciate your advice.

Just Joined!
    Oh wait there's one more. How would I put the interface over Debian? How would I route the controls to the controller?

As far as utilizing the interface, I'm going to assume that you're wanting a GUI. Much like KDE or Xfce. So it would be a matter of starting that process on login, and making it the default selection.
    How to route controls? That's beyond my scope. I simply don't have the knowledge or experience to give you a tip on that.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Jay thanks a lot! You're great, and very knowledgeable! If I have any more questions I'll definitely reply to this post, or private message you.