Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, I just joined this forum in the hopes that there's a solution to this problem: I am starting a new term in college and I was hoping that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't seem to get Kubuntu to install on USB Drive.

Hey everyone,

I just joined this forum in the hopes that there's a solution to this problem:

I am starting a new term in college and I was hoping that Linux on my laptop would help out a lot considering I'm under the Computer Science major. The problem is that I can't find anything that will actually install Linux, specifically Kubuntu, on a USB drive.

The programs I have used thus far is UNetbootin and Universal USB Installer, but apparently all they seem to do is just extract the Kubuntu ISO file and not actually install the OS on a USB drive.

I've tried extracting the ISO onto a DVD-disc and then install it on a USB but it decided to install onto my desktop's hard drive which my computer's BIOS didn't like. At all.

If anyone can either recommend an actual installation program or provide the steps to accomplish this, it will be very much appreciated.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Once unetbootin has done it's stuff, you will have a bootable USB key. Boot from it and you should get the options to try or install Kubuntu. You can select where to install it when setting the partitions.

If your laptop has secureboot enabled you may need to turn it off before installing.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Once unetbootin has done it's stuff, you will have a bootable USB key. Boot from it and you should get the options to try or install Kubuntu. You can select where to install it when setting the partitions.

If your laptop has secureboot enabled you may need to turn it off before installing.
    And once I get to the partition table, I just select the USB key as the install-destination?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    No. You can't overwrite the install media, so select where you want to install to. If you want to run the distro from the USB key, then you could use unetbootin to create a persistent live USB key or you could burn a DVD and use that as the install media.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    That's what I've been wanting to do: run the Distro off a USB key because my laptop doesn't have a DVD-drive installed, so if I wipe out the Windows OS, I'll pretty much have to pay for another key just to download the files.

Have a read through this page.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    I actually just got an idea. I'll download and extract the ISO file onto one USB drive, and then install it on another, higher-capacity USB.