Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
I think I've settled on the components. OS - Ubuntu 64 bit Case - LIAN LI PC-V358B Lots of drive space and supports micro ATX MB in a fairly small ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    DJM
    Just Joined!

I think I've settled on the components.

• OS - Ubuntu 64 bit
    • Case - LIAN LI PC-V358B
      Lots of drive space and supports micro ATX MB in a fairly small space.
    • MB - ASUS H87M-PRO
      Micro ATX, 4 memory slots, 6 SATA, 2 eSATA, USB 2/3
    • CPU - Intel Core i5-4440 Haswell 3.1GHz (maybe an i7 instead but I think the i5 will be fast enough)
    • OS Drives - Seagate Hybrid Drives ST500LM000 500GB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb.
      Compromise between price and performance. Not the same as speed SSD drives but more storage than SSD and better performance then regular SATA drive.
    • Data Drives - TBD once unit is set up and I've played and learned.
    • P/S - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W
      Should I go modular on the PS?
    • Memory - 2 x 8GB to start. Can add 16gb more later.

Now all I have to do is dig up some cash and start to have fun

Thanks all for your input.

Don
    Last edited by DJM; 01-16-2014 at 07:57 PM.

Just Joined!
    I only have 4GB RAM on my Ubuntu rig and it serves me well. 8 is nice but not necessary, and RAM is through the roof right now. Funny that you edited the parts list cuz I was gonna suggest an i5 part. If you do a lot of video conversion the multithreading will help, but I think you'll find the i5 part to be Kore than ample while saving some money. If it's an option, Micro Center has great prices on the Has well CPUs, and their mobo/CPU combo prices can't be beat if you can find a mobo in their combo list that is serviceable. I did .

Just Joined!
    I would strongly encourage a modular PSU but don't let it break your budget. That's a really, really nice case but...it's expensive as hell, and it limits you to a slim optical drive, which is going to be more expensive than a standard burner and will certainly be slower than standard drives.

DJM
    Just Joined!
    The case is a little pricy but it is a pretty nice one. The slim optical drive doesn't bother me. I hardly do any burning and would use it for ripping movies and CDs. Besides I don't have to get a slim drive as I can always use an external one.

I am going with the 16gb of memory because I will probably run virtualbox with a few VMs for testing and playing and a few other things.

I'll plan on looking at a few other MBs and some combos before I pull the trigger but one of the reasons I like this one is because of the eSATA ports. I guess I could always add an eSATA card.

I switched to the i5 for the reason you specified. I don't really need the hyper threading .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the read on Raid 5, as I am MORE then a little out of date. This is something I have been considering for about a year now, either for my next computer, or to build a stand alone NAS box.
    If going with a stand alone NAS box, isn't an i5, kind of overkill for HOME use? (was wondering in part, due to some of the Celeron itx boards, then add a hardware raid card, which I still need to research)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LerninLinux View Post
    Thanks for the read on Raid 5, as I am MORE then a little out of date. This is something I have been considering for about a year now, either for my next computer, or to build a stand alone NAS box.
    If going with a stand alone NAS box, isn't an i5, kind of overkill for HOME use? (was wondering in part, due to some of the Celeron itx boards, then add a hardware raid card, which I still need to research)

Thanks
    From working with others two things I have to remind people of with RAID 5.
    1. Performance for RAID 5 is good for Read data, but the can be slow for Write data.
    2. RAID 5 if a drive fails will only keep your RAID intact for a certain amount of time depending on how much writing goes on. I've seen RAID 5 sets go bad because a drive died and wasn't detected for a day or so. Always good to add a Hot Spare drive to RAID set so if things go bad controler just switches and starts rebuilding.

DJM
    Just Joined!
    Depending on the size of the drives I would recommend raid 6. As the larger the drives get the longer the rebuild will take. Rebuilds are very intensive and the chances of a second drive failing during a rebuild increase as the length of the rebuild increases. Personally for anything over 3tb I would use raid 6.

I don't think an i5 is overkill if you are running software raid, file sharing, music/movie streaming possibly with transcoding, mail server, DHCP/DNS, etc. throw in some virtual servers for testing/playing/development and I think an i5 is perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2