Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, While watching an mp4 video stream (recorded by Me-TV) on VLC, Ubuntu 13.10 would lock up. The video would stop playing but a very short sound bite (less than ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VLC crashes Ubuntu 13.10

Hi,

While watching an mp4 video stream (recorded by Me-TV) on VLC, Ubuntu 13.10 would lock up. The video would stop playing but a very short sound bite (less than a second) would keep repeating. The crash did not happen immediately but only after the video had been playing for a while - I'd guess around 10 minutes.

The crashes occurred repeatedly in both XFCE and LXDE desktop environments.

I found no combination of keyboard presses to bring Ubuntu out of the crashed state. Pressing the power button on the computer had no effect, even holding it in for up to a minute still had no effect.

The only two things that I found that had any effect was hitting the "reset" button on the computer or turning the power off.

Any ideas or solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Last night I tried to duplicate on my Xbuntu box and VLC never had an issue. Now I was running local mp4 files, you say you recorded the file but are they local or you streaming them across the net? Maybe a few more details about your environment would help others try to test this for you.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

the file was saved into my home folder by Me-TV. The install was originally Ubuntu 13.04 then the XFCE and LXDE desktop environments were added. The system upgraded itself to 13.10 and updates are applied daily.

The hardware is Asus Sabertooth 990FX (series 1) motherboard, 16 GB 1600MHz ram, 1 TB HDD, ATI 6850 graphics card, no additional proprietary drivers installed, monitors (two of) connected by HDMI.

I suspect the gnome power manager may be trying to do something behind the scenes but gnome in their infinite wisdom (?) have now made most power management settings extremely difficult to access and unfortunately, I do not know how to access them. I tried installing the XFCE power manager but when I try to run it, I get a message the daemon is not started and despite numerous attempts to start it, it does not appear to start.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close