Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
I don't use Ubuntu often but do have 12.04 installed and booted it earlier and see that what you describe is accurate, the Copy To and Move To options with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

I don't use Ubuntu often but do have 12.04 installed and booted it earlier and see that what you describe is accurate, the Copy To and Move To options with Home, Desktop and other panel. Reading a little at the Ubuntu forums indicates that this option is not available in Nautilus, the file manager. I found some workarounds while I was reading this yesterday but didn't bookmark the page. You might take a look at the Ubuntu forums although the 'solution' I saw seemed a bit convoluted.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I don't use Ubuntu often but do have 12.04 installed and booted it earlier and see that what you describe is accurate, the Copy To and Move To options with Home, Desktop and other panel. Reading a little at the Ubuntu forums indicates that this option is not available in Nautilus, the file manager. I found some workarounds while I was reading this yesterday but didn't bookmark the page. You might take a look at the Ubuntu forums although the 'solution' I saw seemed a bit convoluted.
    Is it possible to change the file manager to something else more user friendly? The Software Center shows other file managers available such as Thunar, Dolphin, Xfe and Krusader. I obviously have no idea if any would be compatible or if they're any good, just stating what I see.

Linux Guru
    I use Dolphin on my system and I know that you can do the copy/move to using it. I don't really know what problems if any you would have installing Dolphin. Dolphin, AFAIK is usually used by systems with KDE but you should be able to install and use it on Ubuntu.

special mouse function

There is a really neat mouse action in Linux.
    To copy a word, part of it, a sentence or paragraph(s) you simply select text with a left mouse swipe then move cursor to where you want to insert it and press the middle scroll button and presto it is already copied. So no need for right click options or browser file tab options. This speeds up word processing quite a bit.

To make the file browser nautilus more user friendly there is a patch available for version nautilus v1:3.4.2-0ubuntu8
    which is used in Ubuntu 12.04, it adds the up to parent arrow again, a toggle switch from bread crumbs to location bar
    and some other extras and is found in Edit > Preferences > Toolbar
    available from https://launchpad.net/nautiluspatchtogglelocationbar
    Newer versions of nautilus omit these functions; which was quite annoying.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyO View Post

1) How do you copy and/or move a single file to another folder/HDD? (I have multiple HDDs set up as I've put all of my media on the computer. Saves space in my tiny house. In Windows, I could highlight the file/folder then right click and copy/move to anywhere I wanted (including other HDDs). It seems I only have 2 options with Ubuntu (Desktop and Home).
    If trying to copy between drives keep in mind that linux tends to lock out drives that are not mounted at boot unless you tell linux to boot them.
    For more proper hard drive management please install an app called "gnome-disk-utility".
    Also most linux file managers just have basic copy and paste function and no real direct shortcut to other folders in the menus.
    While both seem like severe limitiations actually both these features are kind of a good thing as firstly if you automatically boot drives you dont want it can cauyse issues such as automatically booting external drives, or accidentally moving a file to a place where you dont want it.

2) Can I move the icons on the Launcher? (I'm OCD and "need" things in a certain order.)
    Yes you can, icons can be dragged and dropped on the launcher at will.
    Though on Ubuntu 12.04 the drive icons can not be moved and neither can the trash nor desktop switcher.

3) I've installed a few extra programs but I can't seem to find them. Where would I look?
    Usually apps appear in the dash, on the upmost part of the launcher you will see something that looks like a circle with three people in it (the ubuntu logo)
    this is the dash, or application launcher and it works similar to the windows start button.
    The dash has a few icons in it, the one you want is called the applications icon and its located at the bottom of the dash.
    This icon is called a lens and each lens does a different function, the first one is the home lens which shows you recently used apps and files, the second is the application lens where apps are located.
    To get to this section easier you can just right click the Ubuntu icon and select "applications"
    Just keep in mind Ubuntu's dash is just a little different then the windows start menu and is actually quite robust once you get used to it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2