Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
This is my first real attempt at Linux. (I tried a few years ago when it was less user friendly.) I'm not a computer geek but could get around in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu Noob

This is my first real attempt at Linux. (I tried a few years ago when it was less user friendly.) I'm not a computer geek but could get around in Windows. I have a few questions.

1) How do you copy and/or move a single file to another folder/HDD? (I have multiple HDDs set up as I've put all of my media on the computer. Saves space in my tiny house. In Windows, I could highlight the file/folder then right click and copy/move to anywhere I wanted (including other HDDs). It seems I only have 2 options with Ubuntu (Desktop and Home).

2) Can I move the icons on the Launcher? (I'm OCD and "need" things in a certain order.)

3) I've installed a few extra programs but I can't seem to find them. Where would I look?

I'm sure I'll have other questions as I explore Ubuntu but this is what I have for now. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Linux Guru
    It seems I only have 2 options with Ubuntu (Desktop and Home).
    Don't know what you mean by that. Do you not know how to get to other directories? Are you unfamiliar with the filesystem?
    Right click and copy then paste works the same as in windows. For people who know how to read and write they can also use a terminal to do this which usually works better for copying a lot of fiels but, for simple copying of one or two files, copy/paste is probably easier. It might depend on what kind of file you are trying to copy and where you are trying to copy it to. Some directories require root (administrator) privileges to write to. Do you have windows partitions on your hard drive(s)? and is that what you are trying to copy to?

Where you find programs depends upon the program you installed. You can open a terminal and type 'whereis programname' and should get some output, substitute the actual progam name

Download this pdf Manual

And read what you need.

Another

And another "Bookmark that one"

On the 2 pdf links. Pick right click and save link as.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Do you not know how to get to other directories? Are you unfamiliar with the filesystem?

Right click and copy then paste works the same as in windows.

...can also use a terminal...

Where you find programs depends upon the program you installed. You can open a terminal and type 'whereis programname' and should get some output, substitute the actual progam name
    No idea how to get to other directories nor am I familiar with the filesystem.

I never bothered to right click, c/p with Windows. I could highlight the file (video, pic, etc) then go to the toolbar and select Copy To... or Move To... then select where I wanted the file to go.

Not really sure what a terminal is with Ubuntu. Sorry.

Once I figure out the terminal thing, I'll try the "whereis...". Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Download this pdf...

And read what you need.

On the 2 pdf links. Pick right click and save link as.
    Thanks. Saved the first one (always assuming I can find it again). I'll d/l the others in a minute.

Welcome to Linux it gives you the power to do anything you want, but with power comes learning curve.

If you go with Ubuntu with its Unity desktop it will similar to Window in being able to drag and drop files using its file manager. I'm and old school type and don't like all that GUI-ness so only have used Unity a little, but from what I remember you can move icons around. Unity has its own subsystem where it put app icons so many times its easier to open it search window and start typing the name of the app and it will appear and you can run it. You'll find in the Linux world many don't like Unity. Many say Linux Mint has a desktop Windows users adapt to easier.

Bottom line Linux isn't Window so be open minded and try thing out, before trying to turn it into Windows.
    voidpointer69 likes this.

always assuming I can find it again).
    In Browser. eg: Firefox,left click- Tools>Downloads>right click>open containing folder ,

In case you forget. I just tell my browser to let me pick where to place the downloads in browser preferences.
    If you don't have a "Downloads" folder already, (you probably do though), make one if missing.
    Right click in /home/username>New Folder>yadda yadda yadda.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Some quick tips:

In linux, "filesystem" is more or less the equivalent of "C:\". In the gui file manager, or "my computer" - whatever you have - you will probably be open to /home/yourusername by default. And you will see those prominently in your file mgr. But you should also see "File System" and "Network". All the stuff in "File System", except /home, is more or less equivalent to C:\Windows and "Program Files" directories. "/home" is where you will keep all your stuff. If you have other drives in the box - you may, or may not have them "mounted". I think all the GUI file managers across all desktops will show those drives, whether mounted or not - in the same place they show "yourusername", "Desktop", and "File System" - mostly in the left pane. Double click a drive name, and it should open up - just like a drive letter in Win. For instance, I have an HDD mounted - and it shows it by the drive name "Tl105839WOD". Lovely name, eh? But just like "D:\" in Windows, even if it is a little longer.

Given your experience level and interest level, I would recommend you not use the command line (a terminal) unless for a specific task outlined in a forum to answer a question. Get comfortable with the GUI system for a while. Some tasks are easier from the command line - but that is a much steeper learning curve, and will take more of your time. Except when somebody says "open the terminal, type this command, tell me what it says". That's easy, and will be useful.

Also, you will want to know what "Desktop" you are using, what "Distro", and what version. Example Unity Desktop, Ubuntu 13.04. Or LinuxMint 13, Cinnamon (desktop). The first questions you have asked here can not properly be answered without that knowledge. No biggy - but helpers will be able to help better!

Linux Guru
    I could highlight the file (video, pic, etc) then go to the toolbar and select Copy To... or Move To... then select where I wanted the file to go.
    I'm not using Ubuntu right now but I don't see why you can't do that. I just right-click a directory/file and have the copy to/move to options. No need to highlight it first. Mousing down to either gives options of Home/Root or browse and mousing over either shows all the directories in Home or Root.

Opening a terminal on Ubuntu can be done in a number of ways. The easiest are to click the Dash Home which is the Ubuntu Logo, usually in the extreme upper left of the Desktop. A transparent window opens and there is a Search box at the top, type terminal and hit the Enter key.
    You can also hold down the Ctrl+Alt+t keys simultaneously to get a terminal.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, guys.

mbuell --- I have Unity Desktop, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

yancek --- When I right click on a file/folder, I get 2 options (Home, Desktop) plus an unusable, grayed out option (Other Pane) for Copy To or Move To. I can drag/drop but that only copies the file/folder and to do that, I need to open each HDD/folder in a separate window. (Fortunately, I have 2 monitors so it's a little easier but still a PITA.)

I found the Terminal thing. Like mbuell suggested, I probably won't use it for a while until I get the hang of things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast