Find the answer to your Linux question:
Netflix desktop wont open, i tried to uninstall and install again and still nothing. Since the program is basically a firefox window i tried to open firefox and it prompts ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

netflix desktop not responding

Netflix desktop wont open, i tried to uninstall and install again and still nothing. Since the program is basically a firefox window i tried to open firefox and it prompts me that my "firefox profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible." im assuming that the firefox issue is causing my netflix issue... any help would be great. Thanks

Linux Guru
    The method described below is installing pipelight and wine which enables watching Netflix and other video which require Silverlight. The method described in the link worked for me on Ubuntu 12.04 as well as Linux Mint 14 and was much faster than the older way, installing Netflix Desktop. If you want Netflix Desktop, there are a number of tutorials on it but I could not find one as recent as the link below for pipelight:

http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html

Just Joined!
    you may have misunderstood. I have wine and netflix desktop installed, I know that silverlight was keeping linux users in the dark when it came to netflix and other things that require silverlight. My problem is that netflix wont open, neither will firefox, and im pretty sure that what ever is messing with firefox is keeping netflix from opening since its a firefox window. So, again, I need to take care of my firefox profile. When I open firefox, a pop up show "cannot load your firefox profile. It may be missing or inaccessible. I ran
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove firefox
    and re-install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox
    but it still says my profile is missing. Please help, i searched a couple forums and found a bunch of threads related to firefox but none that had the circumstances i have encountered.

EDIT: I have 2 machines currently running ubuntu 12.04. A dell inspiron which has the problem, and an old peice of **** sony vaio that im currently using, also with netflix but this one works. Both had netflixed installed the same way.

I installed wine first, then started with netflix.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ehoover/compholio
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install netflix-desktop

Linux Guru
    It isn't clear to me whether your Netflix ever worked. Did you just install it?
    One thing you can do is try running firefox from a terminal and see what happens. You might get some output indicating what the problem is. There should be a firefox directory in the /home/user/.mozilla directory. Enable View Hidden Files to see the .mozilla directory and delete the firefox directory. It should create a new one when you restart firefox.

Have you tried the suggestions at the Ubuntu forums at the link below? Or the suggestions on the Mozilla site at the second link, specific to Ubuntu?

[xubuntu] Firefox Profile Missing
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/973996

Just Joined!
    Netflix was working and then it would not open. Opening from terminal or the dashboard makes no difference and its the same thing with firefox, when i try to open firefox it says that my profile is missing or inaccessible. I uninstalled and re installed both firefox and netflix with no changes.

Linux Guru
    I've not used the Netflix Desktop but rather the software in the link I posted above installing a combination of wine/pipelight which worked for me.

Did you try the suggestions at either of the links I posted?

Just Joined!
    I did and it allowed firefox to open through terminal only, no change with netflix. So i just did a fresh ubuntu 12.04 install and all is well, I back up my machine daily so it wasnt much trouble.