Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
I have pics stored on my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy II w/4.1, if it matters) I'd like to transfer to my computer. When I plug the phone in to the computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't d/l pics from Android phone

I have pics stored on my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy II w/4.1, if it matters) I'd like to transfer to my computer. When I plug the phone in to the computer via USB cord, the computer sees the phone but shows the DCIM folder as empty. How can I transfer my pics?

docbop likes this.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I'll try to figure out what those said.

My solution is to use the Wuala cloud service. I install it into Linux (Manjaro in my case), and have the Wuala android app on my Samsung Galaxy. When I take a photo it is immediately sent to my pc. Easy!

I use Airdroid to transfer files via wifi. Another option is to use Google+, Google Drive, Dropbox, or any of the cloud storage services. And you can always copy the pictures to the phone's external microSD card (assuming you have one) and then use a card reader to copy files to your PC. For me, Airdroid is the fastest and easiest method. The pictures don't go to the cloud, and the transfer is fast.

Just Joined!
    I just d/led Airdroid. It certainly has its limitations (though I may find ways to work around some of them) but it's easy to use. The phone has an SD card but I don't feel like turning off the phone, taking the back off, removing the card, etc every time I want to upload a few pics or a short vid.

Just Joined!
    If using Ubuntu 12.04 yeah connecting android is not easy but fortunately it can be fixed and it works fine afterwards.
    Later versions of Ubuntu do not have this issue, and to be honest I would use Ubuntu 13.10 instead of 12.04 especially now the next LTS will be out in a month or so from now.
    It would make upgrading to it easier to be sure

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    If using Ubuntu 12.04 yeah connecting android is not easy but fortunately it can be fixed and it works fine afterwards.
    Later versions of Ubuntu do not have this issue, and to be honest I would use Ubuntu 13.10 instead of 12.04 especially now the next LTS will be out in a month or so from now.
    It would make upgrading to it easier to be sure
    How difficult is it to upgrade? Do I lose everything and basically have to start over? Not sure I'm diggin' that.

I understand that not everyone likes using sneakernet for transferring files, but it is an option, and sometimes the only option. However, with Airdroid it's not necessary, I just mentioned it as one of many ways to get the files transferred if you don't like Airdroid. IMO, Airdroid is the way to go if you want to transfer files between an Android device and any other OS. It will also find the files on the external SD card and let you transfer them via the same wifi connection.

Another option I forgot to mention is ESFileExplorer for Android. It sees network devices and lets you transfer files between them. It's not quite as intuitive as Airdroid, but it works.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyO View Post
    How difficult is it to upgrade? Do I lose everything and basically have to start over? Not sure I'm diggin' that.
    Upgrading can be tricky depending on your setup.
    If you used the standard Ubuntu dual boot setup then upgrading can be problematic due to Ubuntu not using a separate home partitoin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast