Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone, thanks in advance for reading my post, hoping someone can help me out. I need to record my desktop in order to create a "Ubuntu tutorial video" for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

screen recording / converting / youtube (help please)

Hello Everyone, thanks in advance for reading my post, hoping someone can help me out.

I need to record my desktop in order to create a "Ubuntu tutorial video" for a college course. Basically I need to record a simple video about the Ubuntu GUI and upload it to Youtube for my Professor and peers to see.

I am running into a lot of problems uploading to Youtube. My video file is in .ogv format, and I have tried several video converters to convert it to .avi. While I have seemed to have converted it to .avi, when I upload to Youtube the video is either:
    • too short (cut off)
    • audio and video are not aligned
    • audio good, length good, but black screen
    • total scrambled mess

I'm not sure if my original file is just no good and I need to re-record, or if I'm getting tripped up in the conversion process. Perhaps there is software that records in .avi format so I can bypass the conversion process?

Either way, if anyone has some advice or direction as to what software I need to be using for both screen recording and converting, or what I'm doing wrong, please help! This video is due to be up on youtube by tomorrow morning!

Please, explain like I am 5, I am a windows using learning Ubuntu. :P

Thank you very much!

Linux Enthusiast

Just Joined!
    I personally use vokoscreen, as its not nearly as tempermental as recordmydesktop.
    But its not in the main repositories (at least in non trusty versions) and you will have to use a ppa.